Drilling Tank For Closed Loop

basscyn

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Ok! I am getting a little closer…but still in no hurry.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I have really been dreading this next step…and I need some <u>major</u> advice.</span></span>

<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Wingdings 2;">R </span><span style="font-family: Georgia;">GET TANK (175)</span></span>

<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Wingdings 2;">R </span><span style="font-family: Georgia;">GET LIVE ROCK (125LBS need more)</span></span>

<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Wingdings 2;">R </span><span style="font-family: Georgia;">GET SAND (need more)</span></span>

<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Wingdings 2;">R </span><span style="font-family: Georgia;">GET RUBBERMAID SUMP</span></span>

<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Wingdings 2;">R </span><span style="font-family: Georgia;">GET LIGHTS 4X250 HQI MH 96 T5</span></span>

<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Wingdings;">r </span><span style="font-family: Georgia;">DRILL TANK FOR CLOSED LOOP</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I want a closed loop flow system with intake and returns drilled into the <u>back</u> of the tank. I inquired about this once before, but am still a bit fuzzy on a few things.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Attached is what I had in mind. A PVC set up with a pump pulling water from 2 intakes in the lower third and returning with 4 or 5 across the top. The area outside of the overflows is pretty tight. I would be afraid to drill there. I am hoping the return lines from the sump will provide enough flow on the ends as they point to the corners. I have heard mention putting a couple of returns lower in the set up to prevent dead spots. Wouldn’t 4 or 5 returns across the top push flow against the front glass and then downward? I am reluctant to make Swiss cheese out of this tank.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">So…</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">* Is this doable?</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">* Can anyone recommend someone to drill this baby?</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">There is no way I am doing this myself.</em></span></span>

<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">* Do they make bulkhead fittings that are adjustable to direct the flow?</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">* Placement suggestions?</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">* Anyone done this I can visit?</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">* Should I just get a couple of power heads?:doh: </span></span>

<span style="font-family: Georgia;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Thanks!</span></span>
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Chris,
My 210 was drilled for a closed loop system when I picked it up. I actually capped the bulkheads in my tank and opted to use two Vortechs. In my case, I did not think that the two returns from the CL would provide as good water movement as the two Vortechs. I did plumb the closed loop bulkheads behind the tank so if I ever want to cut them on I can just add the pump back under the tank but I very much doubt I will ever do that since the vortech pumps are doing a great job (I have to turn them down a bit to reduce the water movement). Any way, I think what you want to do is doable but it may be simpler to go with powerheads.

Certainly doable and I have done before.

Here you can see me doing a 115 several years ago.

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=538&highlight=drill">http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=538&highlight=drill</a>

If you won't do it yourself I would suggest begging someone on here who is willing to do it. Obviously not holding them accountable if it breaks.

Or ya you could just do Tunze's or Vortechs. I actually had my 450 drilled for a closed loop when I had it built but have never used those holes as I just went with Tunze's.

To answer your directable question. There are lots of ways including locline etc. to direct the flow.

bobz;233508 wrote: Chris,
My 210 was drilled for a closed loop system when I picked it up. I actually capped the bulkheads in my tank and opted to use two Vortechs. In my case, I did not think that the two returns from the CL would provide as good water movement as the two Vortechs. I did plumb the closed loop bulkheads behind the tank so if I ever want to cut them on I can just add the pump back under the tank but I very much doubt I will ever do that since the vortech pumps are doing a great job (I have to turn them down a bit to reduce the water movement). Any way, I think what you want to do is doable but it may be simpler to go with powerheads.

Yes...PH's would certainly be easier..and cheaper.
I just wanted a cleaner look.
Still pondering

Personally If you're going to use a closed loop you can't beat a Oceans Motions unit. You might think about a spray bar as well.

kwl1763;233522 wrote: Certainly doable and I have done before.

Here you can see me doing a 115 several years ago.

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=538&highlight=drill">http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=538&highlight=drill</a>

If you won't do it yourself I would suggest begging someone on here who is willing to do it. Obviously not holding them accountable if it breaks.

Or ya you could just do Tunze's or Vortechs. I actually had my 450 drilled for a closed loop when I had it built but have never used those holes as I just went with Tunze's.

To answer your directable question. There are lots of ways including locline etc. to direct the flow.[/QUOTE]

That looks great! Yes...thats what I want to do. Do you have any pics of the finished product?

theplatypus;233652 wrote: Personally If you're going to use a closed loop you can't beat a Oceans Motions unit. You might think about a spray bar as well.

I was not familiar with this product. Did a little diggin...wow!
Definetly would have to add this to the system.

Cant find much on a spray bar though.

Thanks!

+1 on the Tunze. The large powerhead type water movement devices can provide back and forth surge movement, something a CLS can't do without an ocean motion type device. Plus the Tunze are typically cheaper to operate than a CLS...

Back