drilling tank

joshl

Market
Reaction score
how many people hear have drilled there own glass tank for a bulkhead?

and were did you get the hole saw bit?
i am thinking of just drilling a 3/4 overflow instead of doing a overflow box

http://www.glass-holes.com">glass-holes.com</a>

Not that hard to do. Slow and steady when drilling.

I have drilled several...chrisjet has drilled several.

It is very simple but there are some things you should know.

1. The smaller the tank the thinner the glass. The thinner the glass the more careful you have to be.

2. Keep the drill straight up and down at all times. If you breach the glass at an angle, the torque of the drill motor will forcefully move the drill and this force if you are not expecting it could cause you to overeact and the drill becomes a lever and you crack your glass.

3. Drilling glass goes against every instinct you have using a drill. Using a wood bit for example your tendency may be to push down helping the bit bite. With glass, you exert little to no force and let the bit do the work only!

4. Keep the bit wet at all times.

5. Place something under the hole you are drilling to catch the glass slug that falls out.

6. These glass slugs may make nice frag plugs!

7. (afterthought) Make sure the glass you are drilling is not a tempered panel!

I bought my set off ebay...3 bits 40 bucks and they have paid for themselves many times over.

ares;316974 wrote: just got one off ebay.

I had drilled my first tank with a dremel and a diamond tip. it worked, but Im going the hole saw bit this time lol.

You have stones my friend!

I drilled my first tank with water, fish and rock still in the tank!

i have a question how will i know it is tempered glass? it is just a standard tank from petsmart, and right now there is fish in the tank now

There should be a bright sticker telling you not to drill.

Normally you will see these on the bottom of the tank....I have never seen one elsewhere.

i just called petsmart and they have a 45 there that says not to drill so i guess that answers my question with my 50 gallon topfin
well guess i have ot go to a overflow style which is not what i wanted to do but oh well
thanks for the info

Hold on don't scrap your plans yet.

The sticker is normaly only placed on the panels that are not drillable.

Just because there is a sticker doesn't mean that the tank is not drillable it only means that particular panel is not drillable....UNLESS the sticker says that the whole tank is not drillable.

Follow me?

The link I posted has a couple of how to videos and instructions also their prices compare to ebay. they also sell overflow boxes with bulkheads.

well i cant tell were the sticker is now because the tank is full of sand and water so i dont know what to do take the chance and try to drill it or just do a overflow box
im lost lol

well i dont want to take the chance and crack the tank so i think i may just do a overflow box

all topfin tanks are all tempered glass, so dont drill.

I've had an hangon back overflow box for a year, and its been great, no floods, very quiet, even with several power-outtages it always starts right back up.

ZDaytonaRoadster;317336 wrote: all topfin tanks are all tempered glass, so dont drill.

I've had an hangon back overflow box for a year, and its been great, no floods, very quiet, even with several power-outtages it always starts right back up.
Maybe you could post a pic or tell us what brand sounds like a nice setup

Back