Drilling tempered bottom: impossible or just risky?

cr500_af

Market
Reaction score
I'm thinking of keeping my old undrilled 75g around, but it will have to become a peninsula if I do. I'd MUCH rather drill the bottom than the end for aesthetic reasons. My hunch is it's impossible, but if it can be done with SOME chance of success, I may try it.

If not, I'll probably sell it like I was planning to in the first place. I just hate to part with the $ for a new tank drilled where I want, and I doubt I'll have much luck finding a good deal on a used one with an end overflow.

I would think nothing is impossible. but unless you really know what you're doing, the odds are stocked against you.

I know someone who drills bottoms. See Kelsey's 80 gallon build thread.

Impossible to drill tempered glass bottom can not be done by anyone. However it can be water jetted or lasered but it would cost way more than a new tank. Even the manuefactors drill before the tempering.

That's what I thought. Up for sale it goes! I don't want any visible plumbing; it's gotta look clean or it's a no-go.

impossible. But, if you try it, PLEASE tape it as I'd love to see that video! :lol2:

Skriz;335334 wrote: impossible. But, if you try it, PLEASE tape it as I'd love to see that video! :lol2:

That would be a waste of tape, and glass. However, I'll film it and distribute copies to all donors if I get at least 75 dollar bills in the mail.
Just one per member, you won't even miss it! :D

LeeS;335315 wrote: OK so not all tank bottoms are tempered?
You are correct not all tank bottoms are tempered. I am pretty sure alot of the independent custom tank makers just use thicker glass instead of tempering like say aqueon or one of the big guys does.

Why not make a false wall out of black acrylic so that the entire 18" surface is skimmed. Put that 3-4" off the side so you have an 18x4 chamber at one end to work with. You could drill the sides and run all your plumbing there, same way the nano AIO's have the back chambers.

au01st;335365 wrote: Why not make a false wall out of black acrylic so that the entire 18" surface is skimmed. Put that 3-4" off the side so you have an 18x4 chamber at one end to work with. You could drill the sides and run all your plumbing there, same way the nano AIO's have the back chambers.

Plus it looks cool if done right!

Well, I sold the tank today. I'll choose exactly what I want when the time comes to build another tank.
Thanks for the answers, guys!

Just FYI... You CAN drill tempered glass on tanks.

But you have to untemper the glass first. There is a guy in atlanta that can do it. You have to leave the tank but it is possible.

savingnemo754;335480 wrote: Just FYI... You CAN drill tempered glass on tanks.

But you have to untemper the glass first. There is a guy in atlanta that can do it. You have to leave the tank but it is possible.

glass is tempered through a heating process in most cases, and cannot be "undone". there is a chemical process for tempering glass, but it is uncommon and i'm not sure if it's reversible or not, though i imagine not.

savingnemo754;335480 wrote: Just FYI... You CAN drill tempered glass on tanks.

If he in fact untempers the glass then I suppose He is not drilling tempered glass.

grouper therapy;335486 wrote: If he in fact untempers the glass then I suppose He is not drilling tempered glass.

I believe he said that he uses a heat process but you are correct sir if he untempers it he would be drilling regular glass. I don't know how much he charges but I can find out tomorrow.

grouper therapy;335486 wrote: If he in fact untempers the glass then I suppose He is not drilling tempered glass.

this is true.

but i still call BS on the idea that you can undo the crystal rearrangement that the glass tempering process causes. he would have to heat the glass to the melting point and basically start over again. it would be cheaper, faster, and more practical to just replace the bottom of the tank, since he would have to remove the bottom to do any un-tempering process on it in the first place.

Chemically tempered glass can be cut. It is a glass typically used in eyewear and safety glasses. There is a process of annealing to relieve the stress of heat temered glass. Then it can be cut or drilled. I would like to learn more about it as it would prove to be helpful in this hobby. That is probably the method the guy you know is using.

Back