Drop in Chiller - Opinions?

combsatl

Supporting
Reaction score
All,

I just get up a 72g aquarium and my chiller doesn't appear to be functioning (it reads the completely wrong temperature and flashes an error from time to time. It's a typical in-line chiller and I'm running the return pump through it back to the aquarium. As an alternative, I was wondering your thoughts on a drop in coil chiller.

The one I have my eye on is a 1/3hp (overkill for my tank, but it's in my office with a bunch of computers and servers always running.. it's pretty warm). Aside from not having to run a pump to it (thus creating added heat in the aquarium), what are the benefits? What are the drawbacks? How do they perform compared to typical chillers? Oh - and I DO have room in my sump to stick the coil but probably wouldn't have room for another pump, if I wanted to run a separate pump to the chiller and have it empty back in the sump.

Really appreciate any help/suggestions you could give.

Eric

I've never ran one but I have always heard that the coil type were not as effective. Not one person could tell me why though. A coil is a coil no matter it's location. I could never figure what the difference was between the exchanger tank and the sump. My point is if someone states they are not as effective /efficient I would ask why.</em>

I had a super 1/3 tradewinds that was phenomenal. The only downside is that it is near impossible to make remote. I had it made with the longest "tether" that tradewinds would make, and it still was like max 10 feet from the sump.

I would presume the reason a drop-in coil is less effective is that water can bypass the coil whereas in an in-line, 100% of the water is forced through a chamber where a coil resides. The key to in-line is flow rate. The water has to remain in the chamber long enough to be cooled. Same idea applies to dropping a back of carbon in your sump as opposed to putting the carbon in a reactor.

Cool guys, thanks. I really appreciate the feedback.

I'm actually meeting up with Bruce1 tomorrow to pick a 1/3hp coil drop in up for my 72g. Probably a bit overkill but I'll definitely report back and let you all know how it works.

Thanks again for all the replies!

Eric

Back