Dry rock vs live rock

indecloudzua

Market
Reaction score
Well, I'm finally about to start setting up the jbj 45 I got a few months ago. I've been considering using dry rock on this system after my run in with a few very nasty pests in my last build. I was looking for people's opinions on using dry instead of live. I'm guessing the cycling process could take longer since it won't have the extra bacteria with it. Are there any other problems one might run in to going this route? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Youll get algae and tons of diatoms but other than that nothing else. Dry rock is way better imo

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

In my experience, the dry rock turns green before purple. I was concerned about my green rocks so I googled it. I found that this is normal... however, no pests.

There are phases the rocks go threw which isn't much to worry about. It goes from Brown with diatoms to green with algae then brown/grey then purple

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

dry rock is better imo but as stated your cycle may take a little longer and if your rock has phosphates that leached into it than you will get lots of algae and diatoms for a while. you can speed up the cycle a little bit by getting some seeded biomedia like matrix or a couple small pieces of live rock from a friend just make sure to look at the rocks in the tank before you get them so that you know there are no nuisance critters on there

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">I'm 100% for live rock. (From other tanks not from the ocean) I'm a firm believer that bio diversity is one key to setting up a long term successful tank. I've tried both and had much better success (multiple fish with 10+ year life spans) using live rock. Pests can be an issue but I&#8217;ve seen just as many come from coral frags as I have from rock. </span></span>
<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana"> </span></span>
<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">The trick is to know where the rock comes, what they&#8217;ve kept in the tank and if anything has been treated. If you&#8217;re buying rock from a tank full junk expect some to come with the rock.</span></span>

-Nick

I always use dry rock(or DIY rock) with a few choice pieces of live rock when starting a new system.

Yes you will get a worse algea bloom to start with but after 6 months there is zero difference.

My current system was started with dry rock, DIY rock or bleached and dried rock totaling about 500lbs with maybe 15 lbs of live rock. Everything is encrusting with coraline just fine.

thanks for all the info..i had a friend that started out his with dry rock and i did notice it turn a light green before it started coloring up..i might try and find a small rock to seed more types of bacteria and such but i will have to really be careful about that..id use some from my bc29 but i had a run in with montipora eating nudi's and really dont want to risk using a rock from that system..

just use half dry rock half live rock thats what i did well more like 1/3 live rock the rest dry rock

I think I'll use a small piece of live..don't need much to seed it..I'm going with a minimal amount in the display and matrix in the back..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Back