DT's = Phosphates (and = algae growth)

oz

Market
Reaction score
I read a couple places that DT's reef supplement (liquid bottle) is packed with phosphates and can spark big time algae growth. Now that I read that, I do see a little coorelation.

Anyone else feel this way?

Well, any food including DTs can have this effect. The trick is using the right amount, and reducing unused/wasted products in the water. It is just easier to OD Dts since you cant see it in the column.

I personally wouldnt recommend DTs to anyone unless they have organisms that specifically HAVE to have it to survive

I hate to hijack but what are DTs? I seen the term before but I am unsure of what it is.

DT's are a brand of Phytoplankton. Bottom of your food chain for your tank...feeds filter feeders, copeds, pods, etc.

I dose 2-3 drops every other day of live phyto (Nannochloropsis oculata) in my hangon fuge to feed my pod population for my pipes. They are packed with nutrients. Live phyto with only cause an issue after it has died. There is no reason to just add phyto unless you r targeting something specific as others have said. I'm even careful with just a couple of drops of specific phyto.

Back