Dumbest lighting question ever...

linda lee

Market
Reaction score
I'm replacing the bulbs on my Outer Orbit fixture. Currently the bulbs are 150W/10,000K. Yep, not very pretty, so I'm trying to decide between 14,000K and 20,000K.

Question: both bulbs need to be the same? Can't put 14,000K on one side and 20,000K on the other, right?

I think it's something like a fashion crime, but it will still light the tank. You'll get best growth with 10,000k, however.

You can mix kelvins...no biggie...just don't mix watts!(I mean if it's a 250 don't throw in a 175...won't fire)

flyingarmy;153128 wrote: You can mix kelvins...no biggie...just don't mix watts!(I mean if it's a 250 don't throw in a 175...won't fire)

Wasn't planning to up the wattage, but that does bring up a question. What do reefers meen by *overdriving*? I'm guessing that's referring to the ballast for a retrofit lighting set up?

There are different ballast such as HQI that can over drive a MH or over driving T5 with a Icecap vs. a Sylvannia. With a fixture without tearing everything apart you are stuck with the current ballast.

DannyBradley;153126 wrote: I think it's something like a fashion crime, but it will still light the tank. You'll get best growth with 10,000k, however.

I guess two different K bulbs might make the tank look a little lopsided.

10,000K produces best growth? But it doesn't seem to be the prettiest color. Perhaps my bulbs are a lot older than the previous owner led us to believe (Ebay).

a> is my fixture (Model 1042). What would you recommend for replacement bulbs for the current dual-actinics

Honestly if it's the 48" version I would just replace it with a good T5 setup and sell me the fixture at a reasonable price!!!! I use a 10K but definitely add some actinics for asthetics.

flyingarmy;153141 wrote: Honestly if it's the 48" version I would just replace it with a good T5 setup and sell me the fixture at a reasonable price!!!!

That could be an option. Now that I know the Seedless dude can build such an awesome cabinet, maybe a matching canopy with a killer T-5 setup is in my future.

:)

Just bid on the same fixture on ebay...if I win it my 36" Outer Orbit will be up FS!

Mark is trying to smoooooth you out.

I saw him drivin the wifes V-dub the other day laid back in the drivers seat with his mind on his money and his money on his mind.

Cold chillin it.

Linda it all depend on the bulb also. 10K from coral-life and 10K Ushio have different color.
I would stay with 10K bulb, but look into change your T5 bulbs; since your MH are for corals growth and T5 are for look.

BTW I have the same light as your and loving it.

Seedless Reefer;153156 wrote: Mark is trying to smoooooth you out.

I saw him drivin the wifes V-dub the other day laid back in the drivers seat with his mind on his money and his money on his mind.

Cold chillin it.

I was cold because all the blood had left my brain since I spent too much at Saltwater City and at the ARC meeting!

WOLFIE;153158 wrote: Linda it all depend on the bulb also. 10K from coral-life and 10K Ushio have different color.
I would stay with 10K bulb, but look into change your T5 bulbs; since your MH are for corals growth and T5 are for look.

BTW I have the same light as your and loving it.

I love my light, too! It was one of those surprises that I wasn't expecting.

My 90g will be a peninsula display with a 3-sided view and the Orbit light fixture suspended from the ceiling above it.

do you have SPS in your tank? many experts recommend no more than 250W for SPS tanks. if not, i'm talking out of my butt. :D

i know growth is really important but how cool is a tank full of brown corals? why not go for a nice mixed color like a 14k or 15k bulb?

I have the same light with the 14's.It has a very white/blue color and my growth rate seems pretty good.

kevinbeth;153625 wrote: I have the same light with the 14's.It has a very white/blue color and my growth rate seems pretty good.

Kevin,

Do you have pictures posted on the boards somewhere of your tank under the 14K's? How many gallons is your display?

If I could afford it, I'd like a pair of bulbs with each K ... 10's, 14's & 20's and then switch 'em out on a whim.

Dear Santa?

14k Ushio vs. 20k Hamilton. Neither of which I ended up choosing. After a trip to MOJO's place I had to go with the 14k Phoenix. The Phoenix Bulb just smokes these two with beautiful coral colors IMO.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
153630=9578-10K vs. 20K.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
153630=9578-10K vs. 20K.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="10K vs. 20K.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Linda Lee;153629 wrote: If I could afford it, I'd like a pair of bulbs with each K ... 10's, 14's & 20's and then switch 'em out on a whim.

Dear Santa?

scour reef central. there are a LOT of people who buy bulbs on a whim, decide they don't like it, and end up selling them for half price or trading for different bulbs.

i just traded a 6500k iwasaki bulb to some guy in minnesota for a 15k bulb. in hindsight, it turned out the dude didn't know what the heck he was talking about and subsequently sent me the EXACT same bulb. :boo:

Jeff.mcphail;153630 wrote: 14k Ushio vs. 20k Hamilton. Neither of which I ended up choosing. After a trip to MOJO's place I had to go with the 14k Phoenix. The Phoenix Bulb just smokes these two with beautiful coral colors IMO.

ahhhhh... the infamous green halide. GOSH, that's FUGLY...

but i bet they make your corals glow in the dark! :thumbs:

Back