Durso Standpipe

chull13

Market
Reaction score
The Durso standpipe I had for my corner overflow on my old tank will not fit in my center overflow of my new tank. What do I do? How do I make a new one that will fit in my center overflow?

Thanks,

Chris

What doesnt fit? I say goto HD and get the parts for it....you have the template in front of you :)

Here is the link to Richard Durso's website. I had a question when I was building mine, emailed him and had a response in less than a day. They are extremely easy to build as well.

a>

won't fit in the bulkhead or is too tall? Super easy fix regardless. If the bulkhead's too small or is a slip/threaded opposite of what you have just go get the right coupler, cut the pipe, clean and pvc cement the new one and you're in business.

If it's too tall, buy a coupler and just cut the amount you want out of the pipe, cement and re-install.

Mine were too tall and I had to cut them.

When I attach the "T" and the elbow it is too wide to fit in the overflow. The overflow is only about 6 or 7 inches from left to right with the hole right in the middle. That only leaves me with 3 or 3.5 inches to work with on either side.

Here is 1 http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1325672&highlight=standpipe">alternative</a>

Here is the [IMG]http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/HGB_construction.html">Gurgle Buster</a>

Both of these are vertical and will fit your application...

Hope this helps.

Agree on the street ell. The other option is to trim the T fitting down a bit. Just be careful if you do it on a table saw.

looks like a stockman pipe is your only option...

just make sure when you attach the airline tubing to the cap to put a airline adjustment valve on it. that way, you should be able to control how fast/slow the standpipe will drain.

so the street ell worked but the overflow is still really LOUD. I am getting tons of bubbles in the sump. when I first put the pipe in and turned the pump on the water in the overflow would flucuate so I drilled a small hole in the endcap and kept making it a little bigger until the flucutation stopped. It is still making a very loud gurgling noise. What do I do?

chull13;153754 wrote: so the street ell worked but the overflow is still really LOUD. I am getting tons of bubbles in the sump. when I first put the pipe in and turned the pump on the water in the overflow would flucuate so I drilled a small hole in the endcap and kept making it a little bigger until the flucutation stopped. It is still making a very loud gurgling noise. What do I do?

read what i wrote directly above this post. the sound is coming from the air suction from the cap. if you attach an airline hose with a air adjustment valve (like a venturi valve off of a sea clown), you'll hear (or won't hear) a huge improvement.

I did that and even with the valve completely open I am still getting that fluctuation. I am getting really ticked off!!!!!

The noise is coming from the end that is down in the sump? Any suggestions on how to make it shut up?

chull13;153861 wrote: The noise is coming from the end that is down in the sump? Any suggestions on how to make it shut up?

pics would help a lot here...

use a reducing tee (i'm guessing you're using 1" pvc so get a 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" x 1" tee) and it should quiet the splashing noise if that's the noise you're talking about...

Back