Dwarf angel coexistence in one tank?

cr500_af

Market
Reaction score
Long story short, I've been planning to get a flame angel for my 90g tank. The wife has her heart set on an Eibli. She'll win, I'm sure.
Unless, through careful planning, the two can live in peace.
Most fish profiles I've seen use phrases like "can show aggression toward other dwarfs in general, their own species in particular" and "would prefer to be the only dwarf angel in the tank".

I was advised by a sponsor LFS (who has never steered me wrong, and who I don't want to name) that these two would probably do well in this size, and especially so if one is significantly larger than the other when introduced so that dominance is established without a fight.

Has anybody had any experience with this? I don't want to make this move unless odds are good that nobody gets hurt. If not, I guess I gotta give on the choice of species... I've picked everything else, so it's only fair.

In case it matters, current livestock is:
2 oscellaris clowns
1 purple or strawberry pseudochromis
1 lawnmower blenny

System is established, but I'm stocking slowly as it's not mature yet. Lots of LR and tunnels/caves for hiding.

Its off topic but I remember reading about your new tank....any pics yet?
Just curious.

Just put it in the Member Tank Gallery, since you asked!
Good timing!

cr500_af;323375 wrote: Just put it in the Member Tank Gallery, since you asked!
Good timing!
Saw that right after I posted looks good! Cant wait to see later shots!

If you try it I would make sure that there were plenty of live rock with a lot of hiding places. My pair of Flame Angels are constantly moving in and out of the rock work. You might be ok if you provide enough hiding places for territory. I know a lot of folks have mixed dwarf angels so it can be done. </em>

You should be able to in a 90. I would add together and also provide plenty of caves like Bob said. Also when picking the fish out look for the cheekspines and try to get ones with very small to non existent spines. Supermales are the most aggresive and will have large blue (in the cas of the flame) cheek spines.

I have a flame and a coral beauty in my 90. The flame is always chasing the coral beauty around. They rarely fight but he does chase. I tried to add a Potters and that ended bad. Flames tend to be more aggressive, or thats my experience. If you want a flame I would suggest to add it after you have added the other dwarfs. That way its new guy and the others are already settled in. Fish are kinda like people. Some will get along others won't. Its never a definate thing. Just have to give it a shot and see how it goes. Good luck!!

i think it also really just depends on the fish.
They say that ou should add dwarf angels last but my dwarf doesnt do anything when adding a new fish...its my clown you have to worry about

mopar9012;323652 wrote: i think it also really just depends on the fish.
They say that ou should add dwarf angels last but my dwarf doesnt do anything when adding a new fish...its my clown you have to worry about

Yeah, but they say the same thing about tangs and I plan to make a yellow the last fish in. The flames will be next to last. I think the yellow has more of an agressive streak than the dwarves, yes?

Back