Dwarf seahorses

tokejr

Market
Reaction score
I bought a pico tank from a member here about a month ago. After letting it cycle, I added dwarf seahorses to it today. I ordered 2 from Seahorsesource.com, but they sent me 3. I can't say enough good things about them - great customer service, great care of their livestock and patience.

Without further ado, pictures of the ponies:
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
377466=18580-2 dwarves.jpg
>
377466=18580-2 dwarves.jpg
class="gc-images" title="2 dwarves.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
377466=18581-yellow-dwarf.jpg
>
377466=18581-yellow-dwarf.jpg
class="gc-images" title="yellow-dwarf.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Smoothie;377472 wrote: That is sweet. What are you feeding the little guys?

Newly hatched baby brine shrimp. They only eat live foods.

I have a culture of Acartia tonsa going as well, but they aren't ready for them yet.

There's also quite a few amipods in the tank with them as well as live mysid shrimp.

atreyu917;377624 wrote: OMG. They're amazing!

LOL, thanks. I think they're pretty cool.

They're quite the characters already - a lot of attitude in a little package.

atreyu917;377640 wrote: Are these full grown?

Not full grown, but most of the way there. Full grown, they are about 1.5 inches, but you can see this one is old enough to see there's a pouch (it's a boy!):
377642=18588-dwarf-horse1.jpg
>
377642=18588-dwarf-horse1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="dwarf-horse1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I love dwarfs! I kept them for a time.

You might also try them on some Cyclopeeze. Mine used to eat them - nice for a change if you've got brine-hatch-burnout ;)

Jenn

jeep9783;377718 wrote: What size tank is it

~5 gallons of water

Here's the For Sale thread:
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30913">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30913</a>

Very nice little tank, set up perfectly for the dwarf seahorses.

JennM;377715 wrote: I love dwarfs! I kept them for a time.

You might also try them on some Cyclopeeze. Mine used to eat them - nice for a change if you've got brine-hatch-burnout ;)

Jenn

Ah ha! If anyone can get "live foods only" fish to eat frozen it would be you, Jenn.

I'll try the cyclopeeze once they're truly settled in.

ksauerb322;377737 wrote: Neat little guys

They're about the size of the baby erectus 2 weeks after I got them from you. The nice thing about the dwarves is that you can raise the babies with the parents.

The erectus look like giants in comparison:
377750=18589-seahorse-baby1.jpg
>
377750=18589-seahorse-baby1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="seahorse-baby1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

aren't normal sea horses small enough?

do you really have to get a DWARF version?

:D

dawgdude;377770 wrote: Did you raise one of his batches as well? Dwarfs look great. I plan a large tank with about 5 mated pairs in the future once I get my "live farm" up and going.

I did. Got a batch 2 weeks after Bob got his batch.

Did you find your rotifers? I have a small culture going, as well as some T. Iso and Acartia tonsa.

Rbredding;377769 wrote: aren't normal sea horses small enough?

do you really have to get a DWARF version?

:D

LOL, well, "normal" seahorses can be 12" - check out the potbellies

http://seahorsesource.com/abdominalis.html">http://seahorsesource.com/abdominalis.html</a>

Besides, I have a dwarf tank - need dwarf animals to go in it. :D

If I had a dwarf tank, I'd put about 3-4 boxfish in it...

those things look like little dice in the water... LOL

dawgdude;377785 wrote: Wow very nice. How many did you have make it from your batch? I haven't found any rotis yet so I might need to grab some since your only in cumming.

10 out of a small batch of ~40.

We're headed over the Jenn's right now, but will be back this afternoon. Let me know if you want to meet up somewhere for some starter cultures.

Back