Easy SPS?

hn1

Market
Reaction score
Hey all! We have a predominantly softie / LPS tank, but tried out a couple easy SPS (Encrusting Monti on the advice of and from Darren and a couple birdsnest frags). All three are doing wonderfully and I was wondering if there are any other SPS corals that might work. The tank is a 20G tall with 2x65 PC on it. Any suggestions?

Montipora Capricornis will be fine as well as Elkhorn (Acropora palmata) ... both really easy to grow.

Hi, try liveaquaria.com it has a beginners coral section that includes SPS and LPS. It also give you quick stats about each coral. I like to look at this before going to the LFS so I can act like I know what I am talking about. :D

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=597+2856">http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=597+2856</a>

I am in Cumming as well, glad to see another member from Cumming.

Adam

Stylophoras and Pocillipora's are really hearty. My Turb cup has been hearty. I also had a a pavoda that made it through some rough conditions.

Matt

schwimmair;339027 wrote: Hi, try liveaquaria.com it has a beginners coral section that includes SPS and LPS. It also give you quick stats about each coral. I like to look at this before going to the LFS so I can act like I know what I am talking about. :D

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=597+2856">http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=597+2856</a>

I am in Cumming as well, glad to see another member from Cumming.

Adam[/QUOTE]

Race suggests Porites and Heliopora on the first line of "beginner" corals??! :confused:

I don't recommend a vendor like that for "unbiased" advice on what's easy care for beginners...

Some of his (expensive) examples may be OK... but you can probably do a LOT better locally (esp on prices!) and not have to pay shipping.

Jenn

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm researching now and will probably be checking out the classifieds soon. :)

Jenn- I may come by for a visit this weekend to see what you have that may fit the bill.

JennM;339161 wrote: Race suggests Porites and Heliopora on the first line of "beginner" corals??! :confused:

I don't recommend a vendor like that for "unbiased" advice on what's easy care for beginners...

Some of his (expensive) examples may be OK... but you can probably do a LOT better locally (esp on prices!) and not have to pay shipping.

Jenn

I dont know where you shop at, but in general LiveAquaria is cheaper than most LFS on coral in atlanta. Yeah you got to pay shipping, but most LFS here charge 49-79 a frag for SPS of almost any kind

I don't shop... I own a shop. My frags start at 9.99. I don't keep a lot of SPS but I can see what I've got left after our sale - and folks trade stuff in all the time.

Race used to be ultra cheap on a lot of stuff but I've noticed his prices going up... he listed Tree corals from 29.99... I can beat that by a long shot.

Jenn

JennM;339427 wrote: I don't shop... I own a shop. My frags start at 9.99. I don't keep a lot of SPS but I can see what I've got left after our sale - and folks trade stuff in all the time.

Race used to be ultra cheap on a lot of stuff but I've noticed his prices going up... he listed Tree corals from 29.99... I can beat that by a long shot.

Jenn

well by all means, coral prices seem high to me at most of the LFS now :D

ZDaytonaRoadster;339401 wrote: I dont know where you shop at, but in general LiveAquaria is cheaper than most LFS on coral in atlanta. Yeah you got to pay shipping, but most LFS here charge 49-79 a frag for SPS of almost any kind

Actually, as someone who has set up 2 tanks recently, I have to disagree. SOME of the Atlanta retailers are pretty expensive, but by the time you add that $50.00 shipping fee to online purchases, you can buy 1-1.5 corals more from the locals.

Every LFS I visit is cheaper than liveaquaria - especially on the beginner stuff like kenya tree, mushrooms and zoanthid.

I don't know, but I'm not buying a coral, spending upwards of $30.00 on one, sight unseen. And who, in their right mind, would buy anything with this disclaimer on EVERY coral pictured:

"Due to variations within species, your item may not look identical to the image provided.</em>"

Ummm, hello? What they mean is "we'll ship you something, but it might not even LOOK like the one you think your are buying."

Nope, I'll support my LFS - or two, or three.

I think some LFSs are priced high, but I'd use liveaquaria for window shopping and research (I'd rather see what I'm buying instead of paying shipping). They're by no means perfect, but it is an avenue for information that I can pick up easily when thinking of adding a new fish or invert. Us southsiders don't have a whole lot of options on shopping, but I'd still rather burn money at blue planet than pay to ship. (granted, live aquaria has a 14 day guarentee, no LFS offers that)

Sorry to get this thread on topic :)tongue:), but I think I'll stay on the lookout for a monti cap. I appreciate all the input and advice!

FWIW- I think the LFSs in town are super-competitive pricewise with one or two exceptions of course. I know from personal experience that Jenn's shop is not one of those though. I have a thriving lobo in my tank that I got from her for a ridiculously low price. :D

Hooked Newbie;340070 wrote: Sorry to get this thread on topic :)tongue:), but I think I'll stay on the lookout for a monti cap. I appreciate all the input and advice!

FWIW- I think the LFSs in town are super-competitive pricewise with one or two exceptions of course. I know from personal experience that Jenn's shop is not one of those though. I have a thriving lobo in my tank that I got from her for a ridiculously low price. :D

LOL, we really went astray, didn't we? Sorry!

Your response reminded me of another easy one - montipora digitata. I got some really nice orange pieces from an ARC member a few months back and I really like it. Hubby calls them "the bread stick corals" because they do look like bread sticks covered in orange polyps.

Also, I don't think they are SPS, but I really like Palythoas. Nice, big, colorful and easy to grow (and fast).

tokejr;340076 wrote: LOL, we really went astray, didn't we? Sorry!

Your response reminded me of another easy one - montipora digitata. I got some really nice orange pieces from an ARC member a few months back and I really like it. Hubby calls them "the bread stick corals" because they do look like bread sticks covered in orange polyps.

Also, I don't think they are SPS, but I really like Palythoas. Nice, big, colorful and easy to grow (and fast).

No worries.... just pokin fun. :D We've got a few palys and zoas that are growing great. I'll have to check out the digitata, we have an encrusting monti that we got from a member but I'm clueless on the actual name. I was just looking to take baby steps towards more challenging corals to prepare myself (and grow out) for our empty tanks. We have a 50 and a 125 tall that will eventually be reef once we get everything purchased for them.

try elkhorn or poccilipora; they're VERY easy.

If I remember, I'll bring some to the next meeting for you. :)

Skriz;340092 wrote: try elkhorn or poccilipora; they're VERY easy.

If I remember, I'll bring some to the next meeting for you. :)

Wow... we would REALLY appreciate that (I'm the wife, LOL). Thanks a ton for the offer!:D

Hooked Newbie;340070 said:
Sorry to get this thread on topic :)tongue:), but I think I'll stay on the lookout for a monti cap. I appreciate all the input and advice!

Creation Reef had some nice Monti caps last week, i picked up a nice green apple 2-3 inches across for $40.

I kept a purple pagoda under PC before i got t-5's and it did OK. I've had it now for almost 2 years.

tokejr;339994 wrote: Actually, as someone who has set up 2 tanks recently, I have to disagree. SOME of the Atlanta retailers are pretty expensive, but by the time you add that $50.00 shipping fee to online purchases, you can buy 1-1.5 corals more from the locals.

Every LFS I visit is cheaper than liveaquaria - especially on the beginner stuff like kenya tree, mushrooms and zoanthid.

I don't know, but I'm not buying a coral, spending upwards of $30.00 on one, sight unseen. And who, in their right mind, would buy anything with this disclaimer on EVERY coral pictured:

"Due to variations within species, your item may not look identical to the image provided.</em>"

Ummm, hello? What they mean is "we'll ship you something, but it might not even LOOK like the one you think your are buying."

Its 37 to ship and they have the divers den where u buy what you see :tongue2:

tokejr;339994 wrote: Actually, as someone who has set up 2 tanks recently, I have to disagree. SOME of the Atlanta retailers are pretty expensive, but by the time you add that $50.00 shipping fee to online purchases, you can buy 1-1.5 corals more from the locals.

stickx911;340041 wrote: I think some LFSs are priced high, but I'd use liveaquaria for window shopping and research (I'd rather see what I'm buying instead of paying shipping). They're by no means perfect, but it is an avenue for information that I can pick up easily when thinking of adding a new fish or invert. Us southsiders don't have a whole lot of options on shopping, but I'd still rather burn money at blue planet than pay to ship. (granted, live aquaria has a 14 day guarentee, no LFS offers that)

Ya for us southsiders its Blue Planet or online, you unless you want a two hour drive through traffic that makes you want to pull your hair out....and even then your still going to go to saltwater citys 50% off sale...cause you just have too

ZDaytonaRoadster;340792 wrote: Its 37 to ship and they have the divers den where u buy what you see :tongue2:

OK, here ya' go - first hand, perfect example:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+7&ddid=59361">http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+7&ddid=59361</a>
[IMG]http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/detailed_image.cfm?DDID=59361" alt="" />

032309091 Mushroom Rock Actinodiscus $69.99
And here's the one I bought THIS WEEKEND at an LFS for $30.00. So, you're WYSIWYG would be $107.00, mine was $30.00

So what was it you were saying about ordering online being cheaper????

Oh, and MY rock is 6 x 2 x 3.

Back