Easy to get discouraged!

curator

Market
Reaction score
<span style="color: black;">I've tried so hard to do things correctly, but things have not gone smoothly since setting up my Biocube 29 about 3 months ago. My latest saga is a major outbreak of cyanobacteria. I have done regular water changes, etc., yet I can't seem to get rid of it.</span>
<span style="color: black;"> </span>
<span style="color: black;">I have noticed a creature present that I'm not familiar with. It appears to be imbedded in a rock and is extruding several filaments, some of which are up to two inches long and attached to nearby areas, and some shorter ones that are waving in the water current.</span>
<span style="color: black;"></span>
<span style="color: black;">Any ideas or advice?</span>
<span style="color: black;"></span>
<span style="color: black;">Many thanks!</span>

Don't let small set back get you down. This hobby is about trial and error and learning from mistakes and when things go right. Cyno is just one of those outbreaks we all deal with, add more flow and keep up with the water changes and it will go away.

As for the hitchicker, is sounds like a serpulid worm. Does it look like this:
photoalbum_photo_view

Thank you all for the advice and the encouragement. I long to get to a point where things smooth out and it's not one problem after another!

Roundman, are spaghetti worms bad?

Spaghetti worms aren't bad, they are great for your sandbed and are good filter feeders.

Curator, what are you using for water? Are you using tap water or RODI? Also, are you using a protein skimmer?

Whew, what a relief! You mean there is something GOOD happening in my tank???

Roundman, good call...that is exactly what this looks like!

Loren,

Based on someone's (apparently poor) advice, when I initally set up the tank I used tap water that I de-chlorinated. Since then I have done several water changes with purchased saltwater. I have a Biocube 29, which I was told did not need a protein skimmer. Is this incorrect?

Every tank should have a skimmer on it... The skimmer pulls out the water that the cyno is feeding on.

Well, this question will certainly reveal my ignorance, but doesn't the "dry" chamber filled with bioballs serve a like purpose?

Curator;100945 wrote: Well, this question will certainly reveal my ignorance, but doesn't the "dry" chamber filled with bioballs serve a like purpose?

The bioballs serve as a large suface area on which a specific type of bacteria can grow. This bacteria breaks down nitrites into nitrates. Most aquarists do away with the bioballs because they can lead to high nitrate levels (especially if detritus is allowed to build up in them.) They do not, however, pull disolved organic wastes out of your water (which is what a protien skimmer does.) If you feel like rinsing your bioballs in saltwater every two weeks or so, keep them. Otherwise I would ditch 'em.

You can run your tank without a protien skimmer if you like, but regular water changes are mandatory. And I mean mandatory. Water changes will be the only method of ridding your tank of excess nutrients, which is most likely the cause of your cyano problem. You will probably want to cut back on feeding your fish as well. They really can survive just fine on less food they we think they can.

Not sure about nano chambers....

Skimmers pull water and air in..The air hits the water and creates millions of tiny bubbles..The smallest particles that mech filter cant extract get caught inside of those bubbles and as the bubbles build up they go in to a collection cup...Wow..Skimmate is terrible..Foam Fracination...I know I misspelled that but I am on a blackberry in the cold wind....So sue me..

Curator,
Here is a good post from another forum on dealing with cyano. You are going to have to do some work to get rid of it.

http://www.reef-visions.com/forums/index.php?topic=2888.0">http://www.reef-visions.com/forums/index.php?topic=2888.0</a>
[QUOTE=]
Many of have had it and battled it at one time or another. For some of us, it has reoccurred over and over again. What are some of the causes and how do we win the war against it? Testing the tank is the first and foremost beginning. Nitrates and Phosphate levels (PO4) should be tested often. You have to know what you&#8217;re fighting. If you doubt the reading, have the LFS take another test. You can have problems with cyano even if your water parameters all test normal. No reading may be present as the levels are consumed as fast as they occur. Testing the water from the top level of substrate or near or even in your liverock sometimes will show a reading, where elsewhere in the tank shows no reading.
Below are some factor&#8217;s that have helped in treating this nightmare:

*Tracking what you do to the tank. Log all test&#8217;s and activity.

* Testing all water parameters. Get a baseline of what you are working with from the start. If the tank is out of Ionic
balance then you can&#8217;t treat or rid of the cyano effectively. Try getting readings at various times of the day so its accurately reflecting what's going on in the tank.

*Water changes &#8211; more frequently than usual, smaller frequent ones, rather than less often large ones. Using RO/DI water is optimal. There is always the option of having the local water company run a test as well.

*Activated Carbon &#8211; running, rinsing and replacing any media and changing it frequently.

*Nitrates - Added a refugium, aids in keeping nitrates down. Adding anything that you can use to export the nitrates, xenia, and even some caluerpa or grasses straight to the tank.

*Lighting - it is a photosynthetic bacterium, so it thrives on light. Do your bulbs need up-dated? There may be a wavelength change that starts the bloom or contributes to the growth. This goes for the tank and refugium as well. Cut back on how long the lights are on each day during treatment.

*Reflectors &#8211; increase light intensity.

*Phosphate media &#8211; such as Rowaphos or Phosban.

*Skimming &#8211; Improving it would likely help, aiding in the removal of organics.

*Antibiotics -The antibiotics should be a last resort, but some folks have successfully used them. Others find it a temporary fix. The secret is achieving the proper balance when you treat the tank and you don't remove the beneficial bacteria in the sand and rocks.

* Red Slime Remover &#8211; using this treats it, but does it come back, because the conditions are still there that need to be treated as well. You attack the source, but not the symptoms. Does your oxygen levels drop when using this? Adding air stones may help to keep that up.

*Vacuum &#8211; Export all the nutrients out that feed the bloom, from where it lies. Using a turkey baster to suction it out daily helps. By leaving the decaying algae and detrius in the tank, it provides more nutrients to fuel a new bloom. Some vacuum the top layer of the substrate.

*Power heads &#8211; moving the powers heads to get a better flow over the effected areas. Stagnant areas have more growth. Also using a PH to blow off the detritus that settles on the LR and elsewhere. Let it filter out and do it again Increasing turnover rate will help.

*Kalk &#8211; using this to help keep the pH to a consistent level seems to help. It solves two other big issues for reef keepers: maintaining calcium and alkalinity. A consistent 8.3 helps.

*Overfeeding &#8211; many frozen or flake foods are high in PO4, soaking the food in RO/DI water and then draining the water out before adding the food to the tank helps. Also, cutting back on feedings will help.

*Clean up crew - adding animals that eat red slime, such as Strombus gigas. Serpent stars may be added to keep the top of the sand stirred.

*Salifert Phosphate Killer, Chemi-clean, tetracycline and chaeto are others that reefers have resorted to.
[/QUOTE]

Bryan is right.. The bioballs are great for what they do. Problem is they have to be cleaned almost weekly or they do too good of a job and lead to high NO3 levels. I am running my 55 gal right now without a skimmer till I get around to finishing my fish closet. I would not recommend this for most people. The only reason why I get away with it is: 1) I have a very established tank, 2) I have set up my system in such a way as to handle a very high bio-load, 3) I run a softy and LPS tank that love dirty water and suck the NO3 out. I will be the first to admit, my water is starting to take on a yellow color and it is time to get as much organics out of the water as I can and do a big water change.

My advice to you is to increase the flow in the cube, and put on a skimmer. You can suck as much cyno as you can <u>right before</u> lights out and that will help curb the problem.

Brandon,

What is the recommended way to clean bioballs?

Also, are you able to recommend a skimmer for my Biocube? I assume it can go in the same "dry" chamber from which I would remove the bioballs?

Loren

In that excellent quote you posted, it recommends as part of the clean-up crew - Strombus gigas. Don't they get quite large?

You missed one of Loren's questions which is what are you using for top off water? The water that evaporates needs to be replaced with fresh water not sea water otherwise you'll gradually increase your SG too much. Are you buying RO/DI for topoff or still using tap water for that?

I'm using distilled water in gallon jugs purchased at the grocery store.

By the way, what does "ozonization" mean when it it listed on purified water?

Curator,
I use a red sea prysm skimmer on my aquapod (similar to your biocube). I know someone who has a good condition used one if you are interested...PM me and I'll get you his info.

For water, I suggest getting a 7gallon jug from Walmart and going to your local fish store for water. RODI water from the petstore is typically 50 to 75 cents a gallon.

I also suggest reviewing the wetwebmedia articles on RODI, you will find plenty of posts on the subject:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/rofaqs.htm">http://www.wetwebmedia.com/rofaqs.htm</a>

-Loren

I am running a euroreef on my big tank but my girlfriend has a 15 gallon is there any real good hang on the back skimmers or will it need to have a sump as well??

Back