Ecotech Marine Vortec question

ericmcj31

Market
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them? Can you just buy the powerhead, or do you have to buy the controller as well?? How many would I need for a 135? or is it even appropriate for it?? Right now I am running 2 Koralia 4's and they do fine, but was thinking of upgrading if I can find some at a good price.

They come with the controller and they're wicked! Well worth the cash; you'll dump the koralia's when you see these things rock.

I like them very wide flow even compared to a big tunze. The big Tunze seem to have a tighter and more forceful pattern.

Joe

ericmcj31;252218 wrote: I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them? Can you just buy the powerhead, or do you have to buy the controller as well?? How many would I need for a 135? or is it even appropriate for it?? Right now I am running 2 Koralia 4's and they do fine, but was thinking of upgrading if I can find some at a good price.

I've had them since they first came out a few years ago so yah I have some experience with em. The controller comes with the pump, or better yet each pump has its own controller. The mp40w allows for wireless communication between controllers. I think for a 135 you would need at least 2 and then you could ditch the koralias or you could add just 1 and keep the koralias as well.

Jin

I have a set. They really do move alot of water and like others have stated each pump has its own controller. There are a couple of program settings that vary the speed of the pump every fews seconds and vary the output of the other pump. I also have the battery backup. The pumps run about half speed when the battery kicks in.

I have a pair of them with the backup unit as well. They work quite well and the undertow is incredible! The wet sides of the assembly do require some regular maintenance and are currently designed to be a consumable item. You will probably get about a year out of the wet side before they need to be replaced/rebuilt. This really depends on what modes and intensity you run them. The pulse modes tend to be a little more stressful on the wet side bearings. I soak the them in vinegar about once every 2 months to keep them spinning freely. I am very pleased and would definitely recommend them to others. For your 135 I would get two. My pair on my 120 are running about 2/3 power and it is PLENTY of flow. They are also very quiet at this speed setting.

I would suggest you start with one and then decide if you need another.

I have 2 on my 140 that I run full blast. Tons of flow, easy setup, and really cool.

They can counter-sync, too, so one will run at an inverse ratio to the other.

You can find them used on RC fairly often, and the Gen 1s can be flashed with the gen2 software easily for free. I posted on RC that I wanted some, and got a good number of responses for both new and used units.

They are the most awesome fully functional and fully computer controllable powerheads available at this time! Hopefully we can soon afford to replace all powerheads with backed up Vortechs!

Back