Eductor?

flyingarmy

Market
Reaction score
Anyone use them...and is there a dramatic water movement?

:boo: or :thumbs:

Thanks in advance!

Massive thumbs up. I've been using them for over 5 years now on two different tanks. they wil dramatically increase flow and if sized right on a pressure rated pump are just unbelievable!

I run my Iwaki 55 through 2 for a return on my 450 now. It's easily puting out 4-5x the pumps output.

I found a DIY for larger plumbing to make your own. I will try to find it again.

Hanin set this to me, go to page 3:

showthread.php

They work great, with the right pump!! if you run a good pressure pump. I think you need at least 6 psi at nozzle. ( never tried the homemade version)

As stated above, educators really need a good pressure rated pump to be effective.

OK yes but you'll get maybe 2x flow instead of the possible 5-6x flow. It's better then nothing but don't expect to be blown away or anything. The really need the pressure rated pumps to push the water through the small opening!

I have 4 pumps that I could use. Which one would everyone suggest?

1. Iwaki WMD30RLT 4' -510-gph
2. Little Giant 3MDQ 3'-650 gph, 6'-590 gph
3. Gen-X PCX-30 3' - 640gph
4. MAG 12 rated 1200gph

I've got an eductor on one of my four locline returns being drive by a Mag 18. It does increase the flow-but it's marginal in my setup 'cause it's only on one of the 4 return lines so any pressure build up sends more water out the other outlets.

To answer Dawgdude--and eductor uses a venturi principle to draw additional tank water along with the return flow from the pump. If you're pumping 500 gph throught the venturi--it may actually circulate 2000 gph by sucking in an additional 1500gph from within the tank.

dawgdude;95862 wrote: Ok what exactly does the eductor do to the flow? Does it spread it out, make it into a stronger stream or what? I am redoing my plumbing (I know shoot me now but I need a stronger return pump and the previous owner didnt use a durso so its LOUD) I am considering using an eductor but dont know how they attach (if they make loc line connectors or if they are only threaded) and dont know if I would see any benefits with an OR 3500 or if I should just use normal loc line.

Dawg..

They make the educator's in either locline or threaded. I have seen 3/4" & 1/2" bu there is probably more sizes out there since these are become pretty popular. You can even make your own, posted up above.

I talked to mufret at lunch while picking up my 2 new clams and he thinks that any of the pressure pumps will do a better job than the MAG12. Using an external return pump will save me a lot of room in my sump so I think this is the direction I will go!

is there like any u tube that can show me how one of these things works i dont quite understand this thanks victor

From that thread

"The eductor works exactley like a venturi valve for those who have them or actually on the same principle as an airplane wing.

Try blowing air across a piece of paper and watch it lift up.

As a fluid flows over a surface it creates a local of lowered pressure. So at the tip of a nozzle, even you're regular closed loop outputs, the pressure is lower than the rest of the tank. This can be seen by food or debris being sucked into the flow.

As the water leaves the initial nozzle it is under lower pressure. This causes other water around it to get sucked into the flow. This flow then carries it into a divergent nozzle. Since water is incompressible, the speed of the water decreases so that your volume flow rate stays constant (high flow through small part=slower flow through big part)

The role of the diffuser is to reduce back pressure on the nozzle caused by the turbulent injection and dejection of the water. The final cross-sectional area of the diffuser is determined based its throat (skinny part). So this final area has to be constant for a given nozzle and throat.

Also, the longer the transition from this fast, low pressure water flow to slower, high pressure water, then essentially the more efficient the eductor will be.

What penguin did was shorten the diffuser so it would be more attractive, but they sacrificed efficiency. By doing this, they created more back pressure on the nozzle and thus the pump.

So the penductor is just not as good as the eductor, but it's smaller so fits in more applications.

So Obi, You can pick whatever length you want of diffuser, with longer being better. But the final cross-sectional area has to be maintained, so you can't just cut it.

Well you could I guess, but this would lead to a fast stream of water and seriously effect the eductors ability to "Pull" more water into the flow."

Without drawing a better diagram myself... this is the best I could find on how an eductor works:

Bex-3.jpg
alt="" />

You'll need a pressure rated pump because the whole principle is based on creating high velocity through a small opening.

I would not use any of those pumps. None of those have good head.

The Dart is not a pressure pump ether, and would be a very poor choice to use with an eductor. (unless you have some major plumbing restrictions.) you would get much more flow out of the Dart just buy using large size plumbing.

The Mag 12 may be fair to use, I'm not sure what the Max head on that pump is.

You'll get more flow out of those pumps just plumbing them normal.(except maybe the Mag 12)

The Iwaki 40, Gen X 40, LG MD4, would be the absolute smallest pumps id use with eductors.

Back