Effect of Temperature on Live Rock?

elfloyd

Supporting
Reaction score
I have 50 lbs of live rock and 50 lbs of Marco Rock curing/seeding in a Brute container. This is setting in my garage and water temperatures are reaching as high as 88.9 degrees. I haven't noticed any effect on the Coraline algae, and the snails (came with the LR) seem to be doing OK. I am using a mag 5 for flow... which is adding some heat.

Is this high temp detrimental to the bacteria and other microbes needed to keep the rock live?

That temp would be fine for bacteria.

Nothing died in my tank this summwer when it reached 89 degrees.

Hi Larry,

I'm in the same situation - haven't seen any ill effects in the last month now.

Thanks....

I would expect the "live" part of live rock could tolerate cold better than heat.

Safe to say that upper 90's to 100 degrees would start killing bacteria.

On the opposite in of the scale, Perhaps anything below mid 40's for any sustained period.

This information is MHO and derrived from;

1) Safe Food Handling guideline reguarding food products and bacterial growth when stored over 40 degrees.

2) Minor online medical research (for my son) reguarding bacterial infections and minor fever

I could be proven very wrong on this issue, and that's fine, as I'm not ever planning on storing live rock at anything beyond room temp.

Will HA grow from the elevated temps? I know it exploded in my tank when it got up to 88-89 degrees.

It's been like this for several weeks. I give the rock very little light. Pulled everything out last week to rearrange and check the Coraline (LR under the Marco). All looked good. Only had an outbreak of Majano... picked them out as I see them... none in ten days.

Started supplementing with Purple UP to get Coraline started on the Marco.

No HA yet.

Back