Egg Crate in FRAG tanks

tsunami

Market
Reaction score
Why do people use Egg crate in their frag tanks instead of setting the frags in the sand on the ground? Does it offer better flow?? Because you can't exactly stack the coral because of light needs. Thanks.

Because you can't exactly stack the coral because of light needs.

Actually you can stack corals. I put the SPS and high light corals on frag plugs on an egg crate shelf several inches below the surface and LPS corals under the shelf on the floor of the tank. The flow through the egg crate is good benny as well...

So the LPS can get enough light underneath the egg crate? Ok. Schwaggs, do you have any pics of your frag tank. has it been pretty successful?

I'd imagine one reason is that providing good flow for the frags would stir up a ton of sand.

My frag tank has three different levels. My SPS/LPS are in the center on a higher egg crate level, my Zoas/Palys are on one side on a egg crate platform and other frags are on the bottom level egg crate that covers the bottom of the tank. It is about 2" off the bottom of the tank to help keep the detris suspended. Hope that helps!

Thanks flyingarmy. It seems like your system is working since you are selling soo much stuff too.

Back