Electrial Wiring Question

brianjfinn

Market
Reaction score
Is it possible to wire two ballasts on one plug? I have a DIY hood that I built and wired two 70w Metal Halides and two 65w Power Compacts with each ballast on its own plug, which is a wiring nightmare under my stand. Anyone know if I can put both Metal Halides on a single plug and both Power Compacts on their own plug?

Thanks!

You mean the power supply plugs?
Sure can wire them together, or jusy use an outlet multiplier...

Yeah, the power supply plugs. What's an outlet multiplier?

The ballasts are currently using old computer power supply plugs. Are these enough to support more than one ballast with out causing a fire hazard?

That would depend on the AMPs...

(I am on thin ice here - better listen to some of our master electricians (Jason, James, Eric, etc...)

ares;448042 wrote: they arent too terribly high voltage, so I agree, that should be safe... try to get the most robust splitter possible however.

they sell DIY plugs at home depot that you could literall cut of the existing plugs and wire them both into a single end... but I dont think Id do that, kinda limits your options if you want to undo it or ever want just 1 plugged in for some reason.

What do you mean by a splitter? I think I would want to go with the single end option. The whole idea is to reduce the plugs from four down to two. I'd be wiring one power supply plug to two ballasts, which would be two green ballasts wires to one green plug wire, two red ballast wires to one red plug wire, and the same for the black ground wire.

Is that how it's done?

ares;448133 wrote: more difficult, but you could. you'd cut the wires, use a wire nut or solder them together and to a single other end, tape it up real good. its probably not exactly a UL approved...

by splitter basicly meaning a 2nd power strip of sorts, though smaller for just 2 outlets.

I know we all like things to be pretty, but this might be one case where appearances need to take a back seat to safety. while this isnt the end of the world, without knowing for certain the gauge of the power cord and how well your going to splice it... it could be unsafe.

That's what I'm afraid of. And it's not really the appearance, but the issue of space and keeping things from getting tangled. This summer I'm going to be replacing all the ballasts and will probably just get a dual 65w ballast for the PCs a see if I can find one for the MHs as well, but I don't think they make one for 70w bulbs.

And this thing is definitely not UL approved. I'd really like to have an electrician come look at it and give me some advice/changes to make it better. If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it!

Back