Electrical Questions

tgriffin

Market
Reaction score
Don't know if this is the correct form or not.

I am trying to figure out how I'm gonna go about wiring for my tank. I have two options. The easiest (option 1) is what I'm hoping will work for me. If not, I'll go with option 2. You help me decide.

Option 1

Tap into a line that is the level above where my tank is. It has two light fixtures that hardly ever get used and about 4 outlets. Only one of these gets used and that is a night light for my 4 yr old son. This line is 14/2 (I believe) and is on a 15 amp breaker.

Option 2

I would have to run an independent line from my breaker box in the garage up through the top floor to the attic and all the way to the other side of the house and down through the top floor and down the wall to the bottom floor.

I plan on running a 400 watt mh, return pump, calc reactor, cooling fans, mp40(s), and a controller. Might possibly add a chiller this summer

Any thoughts? I'm hoping option 1 will work:unsure:

tgriffin;610372 wrote:
I plan on running a 400 watt mh, return pump, calc reactor, cooling fans, mp40(s), and a controller. Might possibly add a chiller this summer

You can add up the wattages of all equipment that will be connected to the circuit to figure out for sure if you will need a dedicated circuit or not.

For any size breaker, you don't want to load it more than 80% for safety, which would be 12amps for a 15amp circuit. And since your household current is 110v, a 12amp load would be would 1,320 watts (12amps x 110watts). So long as all your pumps, controllers, lights, etc. total up to less than 1320 watts, you'll be fine. If they're more, you'll need additional circuits.

Dustin

I think it WILL work, but it would be even more ideal to do both. Run half the heaters and half the powerheads on each circuit, that way if one breaker trips you still have some life support.

Great! Thanks so much Dustin. I'll add them all up. Good stuff to know

cr500_af;610386 wrote: I think it WILL work, but it would be even more ideal to do both. Run half the heaters and half the powerheads on each circuit, that way if one breaker trips you still have some life support.

Great Idea. If I run a separate line I will definitely tap into the other and have two circuits.

Thanks

tgriffin;610390 wrote: Great Idea. If I run a separate line I will definitely tap into the other and have two circuits.

Thanks

If you go thru the trouble of running an additional line then do yourself a favor run a 12/3 (3 conductors with ground ), that way you will have two isolated circuits for your tank.... That way you wont have to bother the existing circuit.

James S.;610415 wrote: If you go thru the trouble of running an additional line then do yourself a favor run a 12/3 (3 conductors with ground ), that way you will have two isolated circuits for your tank.... That way you wont have to bother the existing circuit.

WHat he said. He hit the nail on the head. I would expect 2 "wire nuts" to agree!!! :thumbs:

James S.;610415 wrote: If you go thru the trouble of running an additional line then do yourself a favor run a 12/3 (3 conductors with ground ), that way you will have two isolated circuits for your tank.... That way you wont have to bother the existing circuit.

Agree 100%. I was going to say to run 10/2, which is a pain, but James is right - the 12/3 gives you more flexibility in the long run (and is an equal amount of pain to run!).

Oh - and I would definitely go with the second option. Do it now while there's a chance it'll get done, not down the road, when you may "go back and do it"! While you may not use the plugs that you've described, that same circuit is likely shared among other lights, outlets, etc. Plugging in a hairdryer, computer, etc, may be enough to overload the circuit if you have all that on the same one.

When you run the other circuit I would run 12/3 wire that way you can have 2 more 20 amp circuits {if you have room in your breaker box
} for future use and protection. That should give you enough power and outlets. Also you could install 4 outlets for each circuit. That would be 8 outlets instead of two power strips.
T

agree...

if you're even THINKING that you could "easily" run another circuit just for the Aquarium.. DO IT..

I did.. (but mainly because mine is in my office that already has a heavy load)

also.. having a separate circuit makes it A LOT easier to add a backup generator later.. you could just add a manual transfer switch at any point between the panel and the aquarium. During a power outtage, just turn off the breaker, flip the MTS and turn on the generator..

The addition of chiller to the other items wil likely overload the shared 15 amp circuit. I agree with the others to run the 12/3 and I would wire up both circuits right away to ensure it gets wired properly (you need to make sure the 2 circuits are not on the same leg of you 220 service).

I added a 30A subpanel for my tank...

I added the breaker and ran it inside to a dedicated 30A outlet, then added the subpanel in the stand with it's own 5' whip (that plugs into the 30A outlet)
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
616289=29119-P9070116.jpg
>
616289=29119-P9070116.jpg
class="gc-images" title="P9070116.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
616289=29120-P9070120.jpg
>
616289=29120-P9070120.jpg
class="gc-images" title="P9070120.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
fieldset>

I'm looking at this from a BB so the screen is very small!!! Did you come off of your main outside? My main is very close to where I'm putting the tank and tank is extremely close to my circuit breakers are for my outside ac units. Anything I can do to come off of these? This would be WAY easier than running a long line!!

tgriffin;616316 wrote: I'm looking at this from a BB so the screen is very small!!! Did you come off of your main outside? My main is very close to where I'm putting the tank and tank is extremely close to my circuit breakers are for my outside ac units. Anything I can do to come off of these? This would be WAY easier than running a long line!!

yes, my meter box and main disconnect for the panel that runs the house is all built into one unit.. i just effectively added another circuit, under the main disconnect that will function as a 2nd disconnect..

here are the pictures..

and a couple more of the sub-panel (4 outlets per circuit)
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
616337=29125-P9070117.jpg
>
616337=29125-P9070117.jpg
class="gc-images" title="P9070117.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
616337=29127-P9070120.jpg
>
616337=29127-P9070120.jpg
class="gc-images" title="P9070120.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
616337=29129-Power Supply 05.jpg
>
616337=29129-Power Supply 05.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Power Supply 05.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Hmmmm!!!! Wonder if I could do that?? That would be awesome

Edit:
DSC02388.jpg
alt="" />

DSC02387.jpg
alt="" />

Maybe these pics will help with what I'm wondering if I can do. The single breaker is my main. The other is for my ac units

I had the same problem kind of. I kept over loading my breaker and I would always flip off on me. So I had a buddy of mines come over and put in a new wall outlet and run it to my breaker. He also installed a 20amp breaker for the new outlets that I use just for my fish tank. Everything is running great and I can't be happier. Verything cost me only $150. That's material and labor combine. Can't beat that with a 10 foot poll

I'm an electrical contractor, so if you want someone to do the work for you PM me, we have great prices and do clean work. Also. I am in agreement with the other guys. Run a 12/3 cable in order to have multiple circuits. Make sure you have a couple of open spaces in your panel before you start anything though. There may be also easier ways to run or access circuits. I would also be willing to do some bartering. I have a brand new tank with no livestock. So I can help out in exchange for some goods!

siavashv;616365 wrote: I'm an electrical contractor, so if you want someone to do the work for you PM me, we have great prices and do clean work. Also. I am in agreement with the other guys. Run a 12/3 cable in order to have multiple circuits. Make sure you have a couple of open spaces in your panel before you start anything though. There may be also easier ways to run or access circuits. I would also be willing to do some bartering. I have a brand new tank with no livestock. So I can help out in exchange for some goods!

I actually have a friend on here that is an electrician. I'm gonna check with him first and see if he might be interested. If not I'll shoot you a PM. I always like trying DIY first but electical is over my head. Thanks for the info!

Tyson

the first panel you showed is an HVAC disconnect (for the condensing units) - can't do that..

only option you've got with your meter cabinet (2nd picture) is to replace it with a meter cabinet/load center)
that is.. if you want to tie onto it..

EVERY ELECTRICAL MODIFICATION MUST BE DONE ACCORDING TO CODE...

this is no place to skimp..

good luck talking to your buddy.. he should be able to swap out your meter/load center for you.. (but the electrical company will be required to remove the meter/disconnect your secondary service from the transformer)

Rbredding;616372 wrote:
EVERY ELECTRICAL MODIFICATION MUST BE DONE ACCORDING TO CODE...

this is no place to skimp..

Maybe I'm not seeing it correctly in your pictures, but did you put 15A or 20A outlets on a your 30A circuit? And did you use 12ga wire? If so, neither of those meet code.

Dustin

Back