Elegance Coral Help

georgiasunflower

Market
Reaction score
Hello

As usual I need advice. I purchased a fantastic Reef package from Saltwaterfish.com called the 100+ which included:
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Scarlet Hermit Crab 50, Blueleg Hermit Crab 50, Turbo snail 50, Nassarius snail 10, Coral Banded Shrimp 1, Emerald Crab 10, Brittle Starfish 2, Sally Lightfoot 2, Peppermint Shrimp 5, Cleaner Clam 2</span></span>

I gave a few things to my son but most of it went in my very dirty tank which is now Pristine completely clean of any algae growth. BUT now I think my 3 peppermint shrimp are hungry for more. I find them picking at my Elegance Coral. This Coral has been in my tank since inception and it has always been very healthy and beautiful - a Vibrant Green color. Well it is now dying! It has to be the shrimp. Everything I read says these shrimp would not do this but I can see that they are.

MY question is does anyone know what I can do to help heal my coral? There is a large chunk missing out of the center. I thought at one time it was going to split but never happened. I can honestly say I do not think that is what is happening but rather the center is missing.

Any help is greatly appreciate. This is a special part of my tank! :sad:

I say pull the shrimp for sure... Peppermints WILL eat coral and anything else if they are hungry enough. Now what that said, they should be getting enough food from when you feed the tank. I have a tank devoid of algae and my 6 shrimp (2 LARGE cleaners, 1 fire shrimp, 2 peppermint, and 1 sexy) all have enough to eat and never pick.

You could try to wedding vale the coral to keep the shrimp off of it. If it starts to heal you know it is most likely the shrimp, if not, then you can assume it is either too far gone or it is in fact the shrimp.

Well, my Elegance ate one of my Peppermint's, and the rest of them moved to another part of the tank... This is true, by the way. I posted a photo a while back...

I am feeding more now, especially since my algae is gone. I was having problems with higher level of aggression, etc. I think the algae was providing a good breeding ground for pods and things, and I did not realize how much the crabs, shrimp and fish were eating out of it all. The larger feedings also give the coral time to eat while the shrimp (cleaner and peppermint) are otherwise occupied with food.

-Mike

georgiasunflower;120444 wrote: Hello

As usual I need advice. I purchased a fantastic Reef package from Saltwaterfish.com called the 100+ which included:
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Scarlet Hermit Crab 50, Blueleg Hermit Crab 50, Turbo snail 50, Nassarius snail 10, Coral Banded Shrimp 1, Emerald Crab 10, Brittle Starfish 2, Sally Lightfoot 2, Peppermint Shrimp 5, Cleaner Clam 2</span></span>

I gave a few things to my son but most of it went in my very dirty tank which is now Pristine completely clean of any algae growth. BUT now I think my 3 peppermint shrimp are hungry for more. I find them picking at my Elegance Coral. This Coral has been in my tank since inception and it has always been very healthy and beautiful - a Vibrant Green color. Well it is now dying! It has to be the shrimp. Everything I read says these shrimp would not do this but I can see that they are.

MY question is does anyone know what I can do to help heal my coral? There is a large chunk missing out of the center. I thought at one time it was going to split but never happened. I can honestly say I do not think that is what is happening but rather the center is missing.

Any help is greatly appreciate. This is a special part of my tank! :sad:

Great, I got rid of the shrimp. I am hopeful that the coral will survive. I had no idea that Elegant Corals were aggressive. Mine never has been. It just closes up at the first sign of any threat.

It really is difficult to know what is compatible. I thought I had done my due diligence and was confident that Peppermint shrimp (along with the rest of the package) were non-aggressive and reef safe. Guess nothing is for sure.

Thank you for your advice!

Xyzpdq0121;120455 wrote: You could try to wedding vale the coral to keep the shrimp off of it. If it starts to heal you know it is most likely the shrimp, if not, then you can assume it is either too far gone or it is in fact the shrimp.

OK What is a Wedding Vale for the Coral? I had caught the biggest shrimp - the only one I had ever seen on the coral and thought that was enough but the two little ones (who are H$**) to catch are in it now... Any suggestions on catching them OR the wedding vale would be greatly appreciate.

Back