Elos Phosphate Test Kit, Reagent B question

rededge2k1

Supporting
Reaction score
I bought an Elos Phosphate kit today because I assumed my API kit was defective, as it always read 0ppm even through my worst algae blooms. Today I tested with the Elos kit and also got a result of 0ppm. I tested my kitchen tap water, and again, 0ppm. And when I say 0ppm, I mean the water doesn't change even the slightest color....remains crystal clear. Can this be right? I'm battling a cyano (I think) bloom that is taking over my entire tank.

I noticed the "Reagent B" in my Elos kit is very thick, with a consistency like warm syrup. It doesn't drip out of the bottle like "Reagent A," rather it kinda globs out like goo. Is THAT right?

Thanks for any help,
Dustin

It's possible that the reason for the 0 readings in the tank is that the phosphates get consumed as fast as it's produced. I don't have any experience with the Elos phosphate test kits though.

Now if you want a baseline test to prove the kit is working, try mixing some high phosphate food with a bit of tank water separately. Let it sit for a bit and then test. Since the water wouldn't be in the tank itself, the phosphates wouldn't be consumed by any algae. And that should produce some results!!

I am currently in the exact same position except i went with a sachem instead of elos kit. I am going to really watch this thread. It would be great if the AWT people would give us a group discount/powerbuy then we could get a bunch of one time tests for members.

My reagent B is thick as well. And it seems to measure ok compared to a photometer.

Back