Elos, Salifert, Red Sea Reef Foundation, API Test Kit Comparison with Lab Analysis

acroholic

Lifetime
Reaction score
Everyone,
This started out as a way for me to confirm which of my personal calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium test kit lines, Salifert or Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro, were the most accurate. I have been having some issues in my combined 300/150 gallon system for the past 3 months and have been trying to find out what is or is not the cause of the coral losses I have been experiencing. I also have a separate 100 gallon reef system that looks fantastic and is not experiencing the issues the other system is having. So to make a long story short, this test kit comparison grew out of me trying to trouble shoot the tank issues I have had lately.

I have always been a Salifert test kit user, and recently bought the Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium test kits. I got some very different, significantly higher results for Ca/Alk/Mag from the Red Sea kits vs the Salifert test kits, enough that I decided to disconnect my calcium reactors and just rely on frequent small water changes or a while.

The problem is that no one really knows which test kit is accurate and which is not.

I was going to send my water out for analysis by Aquarium Water Testing, a division of Aqua-Medic, and thought other ARC Members may benefit from a comparison of several popular brands of test kits for Ca/Alk/Mag from one water sample, with that same sample lab analyzed.

I want to thank ARC Members sts04c (Scott) and Hnguyen (Hoang) for letting me borrow their Elos and API test kits for the comparison. And also, a big thanks to the other ARC Members that offered their kits as well.

The test kit comparison was performed on Monday, 7/18/2011.

Methodology: The main variable in this multi brand test kit comparison is me, since I am the one doing the tests. I have used all these brands in the present and past. I performed each test 2-3 times, the first 1-2 times for practice and to get comfortable with the procedure for each brand, and to make sure I had some continuity in my readings for each test. The testing took about 4 hours total to complete.

The sample water was 2 gallons in volume, and came from my 100 gallon mixed reef. I held it in a clean, covered 2.5 gallon aquarium, and water was drawn with the sampling syringes that come with each test kit. And no water from the sampling syringes was ever returned to the sample. The Specific Gravity of the water sample was 1.026.

Two approximately eight ounce bottles were filled from the sample, then mailed off to Aquarium Water Testing for analysis, then the Test Kit Comparison was performed.

The lab analysis results should be emailed to me in a few days, and I will add them to this post.

Below are the test kit brand results for calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium levels in the tank. Please note that there are no magnesium readings for API. They do not currently make a magnesium test kit.

Test Kit Brand--------Calcium--------Alkalinity(dKH)--------Magnesium

Salifert-----------------390--------------7.2---------------------1110

Elos--------------------410---------------6.0---------------------1200

Red Sea Reef
Foundation Pro--------465---------------6.3---------------------1460

API---------------------400---------------8.0

Testing notes:
-All test kits were current if they had expiration dates associated with them.
-The Elos Test kit reagent bottles sometimes kicked out air bubbles in the drops, despite being held upside down, which ruined a couple test attempts, forcing these to be repeated. This happened twice. Otherwise, no issues actually performing the tests.
-A couple of the Red Sea kits have required time intervals between drops of reagent, or required waiting periods between adding a powder and starting a titration. Please pay attention to these, as they can affect results if not done correctly.

I hope to receive the Lab Analysis of the water sample late this week or early next week. I will post this when I get it for comparison with the actual test kit results.

Dave

Great work, I have also wondered how the kits would compare and it will be very interesting to see the lab analysis. My biggest problem on most tests is determining which color matches my sample, due to my older eyes - so usually I am the biggest variable.

people say salifert is the most accurate i guess it will be interesting to see the lab results

Smallblock;668354 wrote: I'm putting my money on API for the win. lol
Tell me that wouldn't be the most messed up thing!! :lol2:

I find it interesting on how Salifert, Elos and API are all in the same ball park for CA, Salifert and Elos also in the same area for Mg. Alk however is all over the place depending on the test kit.

And then you have Red Sea that's seriously higher in CA and Mg yet show low Alk.

Now I'm seriously curious what the lab reports back. BTW, Acroholic...how much was it get the lab to do the tests?

You the man Dave!!! Thanks for putting this together so the rest of us can refer to. This needs to be a STICKY!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oil_Fan;668364 wrote: Tell me that wouldn't be the most messed up thing!! :lol2:

I find it interesting on how Salifert, Elos and API are all in the same ball park for CA, Salifert and Elos also in the same area for Mg. Alk however is all over the place depending on the test kit.

And then you have Red Sea that's seriously higher in CA and Mg yet show low Alk.

Now I'm seriously curious what the lab reports back. BTW, Acroholic...how much was it get the lab to do the tests?

The website is aquariumwatertesting.com. The water tests are cheaper the more you buy. One single test is about $45. Two are $80 (I bought two). They get as cheap as $22 each if you buy a whole bunch at once.

$45 a test sounds expensive, but I did some research on comparable costs from some independent water analysis labs, and you wouldn't get away for under several hundred dollars for something similar. And AWT tests 13 different parameters. I think it is a good deal for the occasional user.

Great test. I wish you could have included a Hanna Alk checker in the test.

peaches7412;669618 wrote: How much longer until the results come in, my bet is on Red Sea.

I'll get the results via email. Nothing in as of yet.

Dave, I used the for about a year or more sometime ago when Salifert (Habib) was having his ALK test issues and Elos wasn't around.

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12831">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12831</a>

I found they were very excellent, but not "point on" to lab grade a test kit, fwiw.

Edit: [IMG]http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12379">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12379</a>

Latest update:

I've had a setback with the Test Kit Comparison. I mailed the water sample to AWT.com on 7/18. I emailed them on 7/27 wondering why I had not gotten back the test results, and they never received my sample!!!

This means that all the tests I did mean nothing now and I will have to redo them.

AWT is replacing the lost kit with another one, so I am out the 4 hours I used testing the water, but not any money at least. Next water sample to them will have a Delivery Confirmation label on it so it can be tracked. AWT's kits are a pre-addressed USPS Priority Mail return label on a small box. The box has cut foam on the inside and holds two 8 oz. bottles they include for the water sample they analyze.

I will be doing another round of tests with a new water sample, basically repeating the work I have already done. I will post these when completed.

Sorry for the delay in the results everyone.
Dave

that blows! I've never had a lost sample, wierd......oh well, could be worse!

Back