Emerald crab problems?

thedeper

Market
Reaction score
I got me a fairly large emerald a couple days ago and I am looking at him picking around some of my zoas. Has anyone had this problem? Do emeralds normally go after corals? I thought that they were reef safe and that is the only reason I picked him up...any help please.

I've had a person tell me not to get one, I still may, I have a little hair algae problem in my tank. But we drop corals in with them at Marine Fish, and they are our silent workers!

Hmm...maybe he is just feeling out my tank right now. I'd hate to get rid of him, he is a cool lil fella.

I found my emerald crab on my sunset monti and down the toilet it went!

Haha...well if it was on a sunset then it might be a different story but it was just feeling around some cheap zoas so I will leave him be for now.

I've had emerald crabs in my tank for over a year and they have not been a problem at all.

I really like the little guys

No crabs are completely reef safe; its just a generalized guidline for most of the species. Some may never touch a coral while other may occasionally nibble at them. Its not their fault, and certainly shouldnt be flushed down the toilet for displaying their natuaral behaviors.

I purchased 3 a few months ago for my 125g -- so far no problems. Of course, I don't see them much -- they tend to come out more at night.

Generally, crabs are "oportunistic omnivores", but it sounds more like your emerald was picking at algae around the zoos.

I love my emeralds. Ever since I started keeping them, I never once noticed any bubble algae growing in my tank.

Ok, the crab has got to go... He has ate well over 10 eagle eye zoas as well as some cheap ones, so he is getting the boot.

Anyone have a good way to catch him? He is quite the crafty veteran it seems.

I miss my emeralds... I may have to get a few. They were great. But then again, that was also before I had any real corals to speak of.

I think they became lunch for a lionfish or a chocolate chip star.

Well I couldn't catch him...but I gave him a warning poke and he has stopped for now haha. Seriously he needs to stop playin.

Back