Emerald Crab

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
We all know that a typical recommendation to help get rid of bubble algae is to get an emerald crab. I've got them in the past and, frankly, they never seemed to do all that much. I guess it's possible that they helped and I just never really noticed. I've never had much of an issue with any type of bubble algae but I did notice some red valonia bubble algae in my frag tank and thought "What the heck?" and bought an emerald crab. I slowly acclimated it to the tank and introduced it a few weeks ago never to see it again. That's been my experience, you might see them once in a great while and then they're gone.

For some reason my GSP all closed up a few days ago. With it all retraced I saw a patch of red valonia and as I went to manually remove it, I noticed the emerald crab was sitting there among it. Lo and behold, I watched him grab one of the little red bubbles and chomp it all away. Over the course of an hour or two, it ate most of the red valonia is that spot. Just hanging out and munching away. I was very pleased and I'm now confident that emerald crabs are, in fact, a good potential solution (at least for red bubble algae). The reason I'm posting this is that I've never seen one actually doing what we say they do. I'm sure a lot depends on the individual crab but this one has already earned his spot in my tank by putting in work.

We all know that a typical recommendation to help get rid of bubble algae is to get an emerald crab. I've got them in the past and, frankly, they never seemed to do all that much. I guess it's possible that they helped and I just never really noticed. I've never had much of an issue with any type of bubble algae but I did notice some red valonia bubble algae in my frag tank and thought "What the heck?" and bought an emerald crab. I slowly acclimated it to the tank and introduced it a few weeks ago never to see it again. That's been my experience, you might see them once in a great while and then they're gone.

For some reason my GSP all closed up a few days ago. With it all retraced I saw a patch of red valonia and as I went to manually remove it, I noticed the emerald crab was sitting there among it. Lo and behold, I watched him grab one of the little red bubbles and chomp it all away. Over the course of an hour or two, it ate most of the red valonia is that spot. Just hanging out and munching away. I was very pleased and I'm now confident that emerald crabs are, in fact, a good potential solution (at least for red bubble algae). The reason I'm posting this is that I've never seen one actually doing what we say they do. I'm sure a lot depends on the individual crab but this one has already earned his spot in my tank by putting in work.
You should have gotten a video of it.

You should have gotten a video of it.

Man I've got 12+ pictures and 2-3 attempted videos but they look like absolutely nothing. Well, it looks like a large rock covered in GSP that's all closed up. I really, really wanted to get something to show y'all because I could see a torn piece or red valonia in it's claw getting smaller and smaller but it was pretty hard to see with the naked eye, much less trying to get a picture or video. It probably didn't help that I haven't scraped my glass in a while...

Similar experiences with them - once they figure out they are supposed to eat it - they'll eat every bit they can reach.

I've had ones that love the green but won't touch the red and vice versa. Luckily I have a couple that love the red - and my foxface will lose his mind if I put a rock with valonia in the tank

I had Emeralds when I first started. I don't know if I got a few males but some got huge, size of my thumb. I also got a couple Ruby Emeralds mixed in and those got just as big. Funny thing is they all looked the same when I got them. I think the hitch hiker gorilla crabs did them all in.

They have been hit or miss for me. Reef Cleaners claims their emeralds will eat bubble algae or they will refund the cost to you. The ones I got from them seem to be very active and I have no bubble algae currently.

Back