Emerald Crabs

linda lee

Market
Reaction score
I recently bought 4 emerald crabs from Live Aquaria. Since I had a significant amount of bubble algae, I put two in my tank (making it a total of 3) and two in Loren's tank.

The two new guys in my tank were slightly larger than the original I got from Stevhan and had much harrier legs. over the past few weeks, one of the crabs seemed to be growing faster. Yesterday when I was looking at my tank I couldn't believe it when I saw an emerald crab about the size of a small Matchbox car. He's absolutely huge. At first I thought this has to be a new hitchhiker, but the only thing I've put into my tank recently were a few frags and a zoorock. (I'd have noticed if the Incredible Hulk had been clinging to one of those frags.)

NOW I know why some of my upper level unattached frags keep getting knocked over. Wonder what would make one crab suddenly get so huge and not the others? Wonder if he will develop an appetite for something in my tank that he shouldn't? Maybe he already has???

Anyone have weird experiences with a Mightier-Than-Most Mithrax?

~Linda

I found http://www.reeflounge.com/showthread.php?t=18781">this thread</a> about another big guy.

Oh yeah, and just to be safe, I moved <span style="font-family: Arial Black;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: green;">The Hulk</span></span></span> into Loren's tank. :eek:

Same thing happened with my emeralds from Live Aquaria. One is still tiny after several months, and another is getting really big. I wonder if there's some sexual dimorphism? Or maybe they suffer from anorexia...

Same thing has happened with the two in my tank that came from Saltwaterfish. One got huge and one has barely grown.

I would bet that the large one is a female. Check it out, the males and females are easy to tell apart. Look a the bottom of the shell. There should be a part of the shell (a flap really) that comes from the back towards the front. The females have wide triangular flap and the males a long skinny flap.

Back