Emperor Anglefish Tips

reeferkeifer

Market
Reaction score
Just want to get some feedback from fellow reefers who have had an Emperor. I have 2 Bangghai, 1 Spotted Foxface, 2 Percula Clowns, 1 Dottyback, 1 Hippo Tang, 2 Green Chromis and 1 short spine urchin. I want to get the Emperor as my last fish for my 90 fowlr. I know that some of the fish will get too big for my tank but I plan to get something larger down the road. I know I have a few years. The last semi aggressive fish I had turned out to be bullys and I got rid of them. Are there any issues anyone can see with what I have now and the Emperor? Any tips in general for the fish as far as care and introducing into the tank?

Thank you

Emperors, like any other fish introduced after the others, can be timid and your issue will be getting it to eat....more so fighting for it's share of the food. The Foxface and clowns could be an issue for you as they are known to be highly territorial and can get aggressive. The real key to success will be the acclimation period. I suggest that if you do decide to add this wonderful fish, that you plan accordingly. Put the fish in it's own container within the tank.....I use an opaque trash can that has holes drilled in it for the first introduction. This allows the other fish to know there's something there but they don't know what (they can only see shadows when the lights are on). Then I migrate to a clear container so they can see this fish and know that it's not a threat. This also allows for target feeding of the new fish.

porpoiseaquatics;1025103 wrote: Emperors, like any other fish introduced after the others, can be timid and your issue will be getting it to eat....more so fighting for it's share of the food. The Foxface and clowns could be an issue for you as they are known to be highly territorial and can get aggressive. The real key to success will be the acclimation period. I suggest that if you do decide to add this wonderful fish, that you plan accordingly. Put the fish in it's own container within the tank.....I use an opaque trash can that has holes drilled in it for the first introduction. This allows the other fish to know there's something there but they don't know what (they can only see shadows when the lights are on). Then I migrate to a clear container so they can see this fish and know that it's not a threat. This also allows for target feeding of the new fish.

Ahhhhhh. I should have done that with my CBB. I have a breeder container like the one on the link below and I can remove the middle wall section so it is larger. Would putting it in there work as part of the acclimation? Water can flow through the slots. I would have to keep it right at the top of the tank so it doesn't swim out. I would move the light towards the back of the tank so the heat doesn't get too much for him.

Link:
Lee's-Multi-Purpose-3-Way-Breeders.aspx

Yeah, that should work. Another option is to purchase a large, clear rubbermaid food container. I've used those before too. The only issue is figuring out how to make it stay at the surface and in one place. They're cheap enough and you just drill a bunch of holes in it.

Another thought is to go to a local Thrift store (Goodwill is generally a good one) and see what you can find on the cheap. You'll be surprised.

Back