Emperor Aquatics UV Sterilizer

reefcrazed

Market
Reaction score
I'm trying to wrap my head around the flow requirements for the Emperor Aquatics 80W HO UV sterilizer. Based on the specs, a flow of 2,700 gph is recommended, which to me seems excessive. I have to then assume a much lower flow is still acceptable, especially when talking to the manufacturer. I want to optimize the use of this sterilizer and so would appreciate any feedback from folks who are using this brand in terms of appropriate water flow.

Check out this thread (
showthread.php

That's the wrong flow rate. Do you have the unit yet or considering it?

I have a 40 watt Emperor and the flow rate that I calculated to kill Ich, and all other things, is 88 gallons per hour. I verified that with Emperor. Here is there websites info on proper dosing of UV.

a>

I'm thinking one too many zeros? Maybe 270 gph? 2700 sounds way too fast of a pass through to kill ick? Habe t read the link grant posted but I will tell you grant is the man when it comes to the specifics...

Skriz is the one to talk to about UV, specifically the Emperor units.

They rate UV's with the flow it takes to simply kill algae.

If you follow the link above you will get a chart for flow rates to get (whatever those units are). To kill ich you want 78,000 if I remember right.

For example my 54w UV needs to be run at less than 300 gph to kill ich. Flow rate on the box says its 2,000 gph

Raj,

Emperor indicates that you need 180,000 mWs/cm2 to kill Ich. This is different than the 336,000 mWs/cm2 the thread provides, unless I'm missing something. I have about 260 gallons total volume and they recommend (for protozoa) 450-600 GPH for the 80W HO sterilizer. If I used the 1x tank volume rule of thumb it should be closer to 260 GPH. Any thoughts?

You know I think the Emperor 65W Smart sterilizer should suffice given the suggested flow rate 285 gph for protozoa and my total volume is ~260 gallons.

Reefcrazed;1021984 wrote: Raj,

Emperor indicates that you need 180,000 mWs/cm2 to kill Ich. This is different than the 336,000 mWs/cm2 the thread provides, unless I'm missing something. I have about 260 gallons total volume and they recommend (for protozoa) 450-600 GPH for the 80W HO sterilizer. If I used the 1x tank volume rule of thumb it should be closer to 260 GPH. Any thoughts?

Tim,

On your tank, if you go with the 80w HO unit, you can do a 2x turnover rate and still kill crypto. The biggest benefit you'll get is the lamp will last you a lot longer (theoretically, twice as long) AND you can increase the dosage should you have an outbreak or any other issues that you want more UV.

Technically, the 40w unit is fine for your tank and the lamp will last 1 year. The 65 gives you a little more cushion..I like some cushion!

You can even do the 50w unit, but unless you have a space issue, the 80w HO is king (and very close in cost to the 50w HO). The HO units are much better than the non-HO, so if you can, go with the 50/80 over the 65w unit. I use a ton of 40w units, but when we need more power, I skip the 65 and go directly to the 50 or 80 HO.

Back