Encrusting coral surface

lsu_fishfan

Market
Reaction score
What are some options for growing encrusting coral flat? I want to grow out my chalices, and other encrusting coral on flat surfaces, and am looking for suggestions.

I've thought about taking rock and slicing it into flat pieces. But, not sure if it's worth the expense of rock and the proper saw blade.
I've also thought about using then sheets of acrylic, and cutting pieces to grow coral. Would this work? I think that if I did this, I could take a knife and make some scratches, so the coral can grip to the surface better.

Thoughts?

My LFS uses ceramic tiles to grow out encrusting montiporas. That method also makes fragging a lot easier for them

Do you know about what size they are?

Looking for something at least 4" in diameter

LSU_fishFan;1066739 wrote: Do you know about what size they are?

Looking for something at least 4" in diameter

They looked like 4x4 white ceramic tiles

Bcavalli;1066750 wrote: Luke I have several 5" ceramic frag disks you can have.

Where did you get them from Brett?
Thank you, I would love them, sure we will be over soon.

My favorite is using Lace Rock. It is available at LFS. I got some real nice pieces from Premier Aquatics a while back. I'll post some pictures of my chalice and Favia on Lace rock tonight.

LSU_fishFan;1066751 wrote: Where did you get them from Brett?
Thank you, I would love them, sure we will be over soon.

You got it. I picked them up from one of the vendors at the swap last year.

I buy larger frag plugs on EBay. Go to EBay and do a search on large frag disks. I have all my high chalices growing out on them and I place them at the bottom of my DT. Here's some samples of my chalices on the disks.
b9e6cda600b1683fd7e7d6732e69441c.jpg
alt="" />
f471d548f59eae540a3dbbc2205cb255.jpg
alt="" />
b757c8e21fc5d06b066d18cac2d341e4.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reefkeeper;1066918 wrote: I buy larger frag plugs on EBay. Go to EBay and do a search on large frag disks. I have all my high chalices growing out on them and I place them at the bottom of my DT. Here's some samples of my chalices on the disks.
b9e6cda600b1683fd7e7d6732e69441c.jpg
alt="" />
f471d548f59eae540a3dbbc2205cb255.jpg
alt="" />
b757c8e21fc5d06b066d18cac2d341e4.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice!
I am definitely going to order some of those. They are perfect for chalice and other items and I hate those small frag plugs sticking up everywhere but there's actually a good purpose and use for the 5 inch. Thanks for the info Brett.

Back