enough flow?

mopar9012

Market
Reaction score
right now in my 65 I have one koralia 3,one koralia 2 and one koralia 1.
I believe thats 850 GPH, 600GPH, and 400 GPH.
so thats roughly 28 times if I have that all correct.
I was thinking that instead of having the koralia 1, maybe I should get rid of it and go with another koralia 2..
let me know what you think...

oh...sorry i forgot to mention.
right now the tank is 3 days old, so it is cycling.
but will eventually be SPS dominate prob from 6 months to a year from now.
i think I am going to switch of the koralia 1 for something else.

Seems like thats alot of PHs cluttering up the tank. I had one modded Tunze 6025 in my 65g that pushed (supposedly, as no easy way to truly measure it, but believe it all the same) about 1200 to 1300 gph. This was from one pump the size of a tennis ball.

Might wanna look into it, you might prefer what you have.

You can also check out the CoralVue Powerheads....Contact Tim at Keen Reef...i think he might have some in stock.

Problem with multiple powerheads is the heat transfer into the tank, my 3 Koralias bring a 55 with no heater at an ambient 74 up to 83 under T5s only with no issues.
If you can reduce the number as much as you can while still providing ample random flow...

Be my guest to check - the only other pump in the setup is a quiet1 4000 and with no powerheads running the tank stays below 81°.
So my assumption is the powerheads cause the other 2°

It's 55, but I get the logic - nevertheless the tank creeps up to 83 with Koralias.
I mean the T5s probably do the majority of the 9° up - but it stays 3° lower if I keep the Koralias off.

cr500_af;369797 wrote: Well, it IS the only 55 I've seen with a 1/3hp chiller on it... :)

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Thats like 1000watts i believe right. 83 degrees is not to hot it is getting close but not in the danger zone.
Chris c

NotiReef;369749 wrote: You can also check out the CoralVue Powerheads....Contact Tim at Keen Reef...i think he might have some in stock.

actually just typed that into google and that might be what I want.
How many times should I be shooting for?
would 31ish be too much? or maybe a little bit more?
in my previous tanks i always seemed to not have enough and it seems to be an essential in a reef tank.

Back