enough flow?

benpoole28

Market
Reaction score
My tank is a 48", 100 gallon. I'm currently running 3 hydor evo 1050's on the hydor wavemaker. I have mostly zoas, palys, lps and a few sticks. I'm achieving, what I consider great growth out of everything currently, including the sps. I just wonder if i could get more growth just by adding more/better flow. I dont want to spend the money on ecotechs or gyres. The upgrade would either be jaebo wp40's or rw-15's. Do I need these, or is my my current setup good enough? I know "good enough" is a matter of opinion which would be different for everyone. I guess my question is, would I see noticeable increases in growth with these upgrades? Thanks for any input.

I am guessing that a possible investment somewhere else would provide more bang for the buck.

What lighting are you using?

What skimmer are you using?

Using a doser, ATO, or any reactors?

Flow is just one component to achieve good growth.

I run 2 250w halides, along with 2 value reefbreeder led's, so i think lighting is ok. skimmer is an octopus nw150, along with dual reactor which i mostly just run carbon. No other reactors. No dosing pump, but i do dose aquavitro fuel and ions weekly. I used gravity fed drip method for ATO.

How much sps can a mixed reef sustain with just adding nutrients through water changes? When dose a need for dosing present itself? I think i get good growth now, but being that this is the only tank i watch on a regular basis, i have nothing to compare to. everything is growing, at different rates of course.

Ca, Alk, and other element consumption is totally dependent upon you tank and its inhabitants. Dosing is required, IMHO, when water changes are not enough to sustain acceptable levels.

benpoole28;1019989 wrote: How much sps can a mixed reef sustain with just adding nutrients through water changes? When dose a need for dosing present itself? I think i get good growth now, but being that this is the only tank i watch on a regular basis, i have nothing to compare to. everything is growing, at different rates of course.

A lot of this would depend on what salt mix your using, how much/often your doing water changes and how many SPS you have.
IMHO when your tests shows Calc is being depleted lower than optimum (380-450 per Randy HF) you would need to look at dosing at least a two part (Calc/Alk).

Back