Epic Petco failure....

genesis

Market
Reaction score
So swung by Petco yesterday after work and went by the aquatics section where the guy was doing a w/c. Begin talking to him and he was stating that he tries to do a weekly w/c but that doesn't always happen as planned. He drained the tank and had the new batch of sw next to it in a brute. A fw customer came and wanted to get some fish. They were talking and he was bagging it up etc. This tank stood in this state for at least 15 mins........
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Pic 2
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

That is actually not a big deal.

SPS are actually fine being out of water for a while, its why they slime up. You can find many pics of huge SPS fields that are out of water for hours due to the tides.

Granted you would want to spray them down every few min just to make sure, but yea when I do a huge water change on my system the stuff at the top is out of water for up to 20 min.

EnderG60;1070770 wrote: That is actually not a big deal.

SPS are actually fine being out of water for a while, its why they slime up. You can find many pics of huge SPS fields that are out of water for hours due to the tides.

Granted you would want to spray them down every few min just to make sure, but yea when I do a huge water change on my system the stuff at the top is out of water for up to 20 min.

True. When I do a w/c mine are exposed as well for no longer than 5-10 mins. It was like this for just the 15 mins I was there but I'm pretty sure it was awhile longer with all the other customers that started coming in. I bet when he realized it he was like :wow2: oops forgot about that lol

at least they're doing a water change. the Petco here in Duluth, the frag tank is always dead and the lighting for the SPS is way under powered, I just can't imagine how much inventory they toss out regularly. Then their live stock is a joke, two columns, each column sharing a sump system, and each column always have a few fish that have ich!!

The Petco off of Moreland has ornaments in each tank. These ornaments still have the tags on them - under water. The fish always look sick. I feel so bad for them.

civics14;1070782 wrote: at least they're doing a water change. the Petco here in Duluth, the frag tank is always dead and the lighting for the SPS is way under powered, I just can't imagine how much inventory they toss out regularly. Then their live stock is a joke, two columns, each column sharing a sump system, and each column always have a few fish that have ich!!

i love this store. they get in a new stock and every so often they get a pretty piece i know will die. so i wait 4-6 weeks and come back to see their half off sale just to offload it before it croaks.

i think the manager there has someone come in to help her.

otherwise on target. it is a very sickly system.

Unfortunely most of the fish I see that Petco's has do have ich and staff that really lack the knowledge base that your average hobbyist has. I've purchased livestock from them but it is with high caution and pro-active treatment being done first.

Eh - i dont think it's that big of a deal. Corals stay out of the water for hours - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfOBqEPX6GM&feature=player_profilepage#">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfOBqEPX6GM&feature=player_profilepage#</a>!

And this is under noon sun in Fiji. Certainly a harsher environment than a dark tank in an air conditioned environment.

Hey, this weekend is 20% off livestock, and on Friday they get new livestock, you can get it directly in the bag before it hit their system. That's how I typically get it if I buy from them.

Russ-IV;1070801 wrote: i love this store. they get in a new stock and every so often they get a pretty piece i know will die. so i wait 4-6 weeks and come back to see their half off sale just to offload it before it croaks.

i think the manager there has someone come in to help her.

otherwise on target. it is a very sickly system.

I never see the Petco on Holcomb Bridge do any of that, not to imply that they don't. But the fact the tanks always have algae of some kind doesn't help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crew;1070811 wrote: Eh - i dont think it's that big of a deal. Corals stay out of the water for hours - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfOBqEPX6GM&feature=player_profilepage#">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfOBqEPX6GM&feature=player_profilepage#</a>!

And this is under noon sun in Fiji. Certainly a harsher environment than a dark tank in an air conditioned environment.[/QUOTE]

Wow that was crazy, had no idea

15 minutes is no big deal. Used to happen to us all the time. Gotta serve the customers.

The bigger problem is the aquatics departments in those big-box-mart stores. That's a whole other post, and if people quit 'rescuing' stuff from them, eventually they'd lose so much money they'd shut down those departments.

Jenn

jennm;1070934 wrote: 15 minutes is no big deal. Used to happen to us all the time. Gotta serve the customers.

The bigger problem is the aquatics departments in those big-box-mart stores. That's a whole other post, and if people quit 'rescuing' stuff from them, eventually they'd lose so much money they'd shut down those departments.

Jenn

+1

JennM;1070934 wrote: 15 minutes is no big deal. Used to happen to us all the time. Gotta serve the customers.

Jenn

Good point

Back