Epsom salts to raise Mag

saltbubbles

Market
Reaction score
Who's doing it? How long? Procedure? Yes, I've read Randy F.H. Article. No. Nothing stuck.
What I did understand, is that it works best for salt mixes that are low on sulfate.

Saw the chart and my only neuron had a seizure. Reef Crystals- Is it low on sulfate?

Anyone care to explain or discuss in clueless? Related questions welcome.

Did it for a while with no ill effects. But per the article long term can be an issue.

If you need a one time or infrequent bump in magnesium, then you can use Epsom salts, which is magnesium sulfate. If you plan on supplementing magnesium regularly, like monthly, then the best DIY mix is a combination of Magnesium Chloride and Magnesium Sulfate, which is also called Randy's 2 Part. This mix is ionically balanced and should be used long term vs magnesium sulfate alone.

Epsom salts are available at any drug store or supermarket, as I am sure you know, but magnesium chloride may either be available at an ARC sponsor, or you can order a quantity from BRS.

The recipe in proper ratio is 3 5/8 cups magnesium chloride and 3/8 cup magnesium sulfate mixed with 1/2 gallon RODI. Stir until the magnesium sulfate and chloride are dissolved.

Use the Reef Chemistry Calculator for the amount you need to dose to get to the level you want.

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html">http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html</a>

Under "product used" pick Randy's Recipes 1 and 2 Versions A and B.

Thanks Rich:) Yup I kinda gathered that too.
Dave thanks so much, gosh I wish I could download your reefer brain, Jenn's, Stacy's and Ralph's into mine:)

What is your ultimate objective with dosing mag? Just to get your salt mix up to a set number (1300ish)?

tonymission;1001390 wrote: What is your ultimate objective with dosing mag? Just to get your salt mix up to a set number (1300ish)?

None at the moment, just picking people's brains so that I will know in the future. AI'm starting to like SPS. Also, I'm sure there's plenty of newbies that only have Kenya trees growing don't know and are just curious:)

BTW, If you only have Kenya trees it is highly unlikely that you need to supplement Mag:tongue: Just in case you're wondering. I know I was when I started.

saltbubbles;1001387 wrote: Dave thanks so much, gosh I wish I could download your reefer brain, Jenn's, Stacy's and Ralph's into mine:)

That could be a pretty sick neighborhood!!! :D

Acroholic;1001409 wrote: That could be a pretty sick neighborhood!!! :D

LOL. My thoughts exactly!!!! Especially the Ralph part. Hehehehehe

Acroholic;1001409 wrote: That could be a pretty sick neighborhood!!! :D

rdnelson99;1001420 wrote: LOL. My thoughts exactly!!!! Especially the Ralph part. Hehehehehe

lol yeah I meant the good reef related things. We already have Rich.

saltbubbles;1001387 wrote: Thanks Rich:) Yup I kinda gathered that too.
Dave thanks so much, gosh I wish I could download your reefer brain, Jenn's, Stacy's and Ralph's into mine:)

:eek: :up:

Why were you not at the Holiday Party last night little missy?!?!?!?!?

Used it solely for 7 years with positive results. I did rather large water changes, often so high sulfate issues were not a problem.

stacy22;1001428 wrote: :eek: :up:

Why were you not at the Holiday Party last night little missy?!?!?!?!?
My husband works most Saturday nights (Event Hall) so Sundays are sacred:)

grouper therapy;1001457 wrote: Used it solely for 7 years with positive results. I did rather large water changes, often so high sulfate issues were not a problem.

Good to know, thank you for sharing.What salt did you use then? Why did you stop? Did you see any favorable change after dropping it? Thx:)

saltbubbles;1001403 wrote: None at the moment, just picking people's brains so that I will know in the future. AI'm starting to like SPS. Also, I'm sure there's plenty of newbies that only have Kenya trees growing don't know and are just curious:)

BTW, If you only have Kenya trees it is highly unlikely that you need to supplement Mag:tongue: Just in case you're wondering. I know I was when I started.

Most salt mixes have an appropriate mag level. Id focus on ALK and keep that rock solid. Can tell you too high of mag will make it difficult for any calcium consumers to consume calcium. :)

tonymission;1001564 wrote: Most salt mixes have an appropriate mag level. Id focus on ALK and keep that rock solid. Can tell you too high of mag will make it difficult for any calcium consumers to consume calcium. :)

Right, it is from my understanding all or most salt mixes
are within the desired parameters. It is also my undestandong that Magnesium along with other elements get depleted in a crowded tank over time even with consistent water changes:)Also, I think I read somewhere that Magnesium, Alkalinity and Calcium go hand in hand and Mag needs to be adjusted first in order to adjust the others. Right?

Thanks for sharing what you know keep ut coming:) Must be of interest to others there's plenty of views.

saltbubbles;1001597 wrote: Right, it is from my understanding all or most salt mixes
are within the desired parameters. It is also my undestandong that Magnesium along with other elements get depleted in a crowded tank over time even with consistent water changes:)Also, I think I read somewhere that Magnesium, Alkalinity and Calcium go hand in hand and Mag needs to be adjusted first in order to adjust the others. Right?

Thanks for sharing what you know keep ut coming:) Must be of interest to others there's plenty of views.

Only time I dosed Mag was TEch M to kill bryopsis in my display tank. And that worked. And killed all more coraline and green birdsnest and a couple montis. :/

Mag consumption / depletion doesn't happen nearly as rapidly as alk or even calcium which is why regular water changes is usually more than enough. Now I'm sure someone will chime in to tell us why you need to regularly dose Mag, but I haven't ran into that situation yet and doubt I will.

Magnesium keeps calcium in the water from precipitating out of solution in the form of calcium carbonate. Chemically, it interferes with the crystalline structure formation of the CaCO3 molecules. This calcium carbonate deposition is aka abiotic precipitation.

So what it means to a reefer is that too low a mag level can cause a low calcium level, in addition to CaCO3 getting on heaters, impellers, etc.

If mag is low, it can lead to an imabalance were no matter how much you dose either Cal or Alk will stay low because it precipitates out. That is why getting mag up first is important. No matter what, don't dose unless you test so you know your levels. What is your mag level?

Acroholic;1001604 wrote: Magnesium keeps calcium in the water from precipitating out of solution in the form of calcium carbonate. Chemically, it interferes with the crystalline structure formation of the CaCO3 molecules. This calcium carbonate deposition is aka abiotic precipitation.

What are your thoughts on natural depletion versus replenishment with water changes? I haven't seen a need to dose it but I don't have big colonies yet ...

tonymission;1001609 wrote: What are your thoughts on natural depletion versus replenishment with water changes? I haven't seen a need to dose it but I don't have big colonies yet ...
To me it does not matter how the mag gets in there, but I would not do water changes just to up the magnesium level. Just monitor your magnesium levels, and if your normal WC schedule keeps it 1280-1350 or so, then don't dose magnesium.

I only dose (mag/Ca/KH) if I need to, and whether I need to is decided by testing.

saltbubbles;1001462 wrote: My husband works most Saturday nights (Event Hall) so Sundays are sacred:)

Good to know, thank you for sharing.What salt did you use then? Why did you stop? Did you see any favorable change after dropping it? Thx:)
Used Instant Ocean and took down the tank is the reason for not using it&gt;:)

Back