Equipment board ideas

Reefchef

Supporting
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I need a bit of assistance. I would like to move my electronics from below my tank and put them in my cabinet next to it. I plan to build like a false front inside the cabinet to mount everything. What type of wood would you suggest for the front. I will put two strips of 1x2 behind as the frame shall I say and use hinges to open and close it. Also would you suggest making it like a cabinet inside the cabinet or just a false front to mount to. If I did a cabinet inside I would love to get this cut into plexi or something!!!

Screenshot_20200314-164627_Google.jpg20191220_114356.jpg

These aren’t inside a cabinet but we went to Home Depot and bought 1x12 pine boards and stained them to match our stand. I wish they were hidden in a cabinet but it was what we had space for. 6BCD059C-8CCC-425F-A658-D0E1811FB699.jpeg96487C07-9003-4869-B048-F0C27D8CCE26.jpeg

I would suggest something sturdy like what @NanCrab used. A 1x12 painted white would work great and would allow you to have half of the cabinet for some more storage. You could use 1"plywood and cut to shape of the inside of the cabinet to look a little more seemless. Either option put onto hinges would look great for your cabinet. I would get some heavier duty hinges just in case you plan on adding all of your electronics

These aren’t inside a cabinet but we went to Home Depot and bought 1x12 pine boards and stained them to match our stand. I wish they were hidden in a cabinet but it was what we had space for. View attachment 20070View attachment 20071
I should take new pictures. These are from the day we put them up but since then we’ve mounted all of the controllers and tamed the cords with cord keepers

I should take new pictures. These are from the day we put them up but since then we’ve mounted all of the controllers and tamed the cords with cord keepers
Please, I would love to see that. Thanks

I planned to add all of my electronics, including 1 more eb832. This is what I found so far, I planned to only use about half of the cabinet and leave the front empty for items plus it has a drawer.

Nice find on the fans.

A false front is the best way to go in my opinion like you have already decided on. Mine isn't hinged, I used pocket screws to mount two supports to keep the panel upright. I don't figure on needing to get behind the panel very often. Here is a pic of my work in progress. I think you may be best served by your cabinet within a cabinet idea since it sounds like it won't take up the entire area you have available or you could add a shelf to separate the cabinet into compartments.

IMG_7296.JPG

Lowe’s also sells PVC sheet material.

Or, you might ask @tonytran509 to make you something custom? His business is making signs and he has a computerized laser cutter. I have found him to be very reasonable. You may have seen his frag racks, etc. for club members recently.

Fwiw,
If you decide on using wood & diy, I would suggest some sort of water proofing, especially if there is a sump inside the cabinet.

Airflow will also help keep moisture levels low and reduce corrosion to metal/electronic components.

Nice find on the fans.

A false front is the best way to go in my opinion like you have already decided on. Mine isn't hinged, I used pocket screws to mount two supports to keep the panel upright. I don't figure on needing to get behind the panel very often. Here is a pic of my work in progress. I think you may be best served by your cabinet within a cabinet idea since it sounds like it won't take up the entire area you have available or you could add a shelf to separate the cabinet into compartments.

View attachment 20088

This is perfect, thanks. I may have been over thinking the hinges! An acrylic or plexi door would look sweet when you open the door with that logo on it, but do you think it would trap too much heat? Im not worried about moisture, it will be in a cabinet next to the tank with no water of any sort. By the way where did you get your grommets? Thanks

This is perfect, thanks. I may have been over thinking the hinges! An acrylic or plexi door would look sweet when you open the door with that logo on it, but do you think it would trap too much heat? Im not worried about moisture, it will be in a cabinet next to the tank with no water of any sort. By the way where did you get your grommets? Thanks

You could create some standoffs from the frame so the plexiglass has an air gap? It's common for acrylic sign mounting. The grommets, I 3D printed. The largest hole saw I had was 35mm from my cabinet hinge kit. These are "just" big enough to fit the end of a standard plug through. I'd be happy to help when you get that far if you don't find a size you like out there.

Back