Equipment?

william1

Market
Reaction score
What kind of equipment is everyone using. Calk reactor, phosban reactor, UV. Top three pieces people wouldnt trade for the world....Come on lets see what you got...

IMO the more equip , controllers, reactors etc, then its more likely something is gonna mess up and prob crash your tank, all i have is a skimmer, filter sock. I dose calcium and baking soda by hand. Uv is good to have, likely wont cause any probs

As Chris states, the more gadgets the more problems. But thats all to an extent tho. I for one tho wouldn't trade my CA reactor for anything.....well unless it's for a bigger better one, lol. I also like the simple things, your 4 dollar float switch hooked up to a power head for a water top off. As far as what I have tho, ca reactor, kalk reactor, top off, RKII, skimmer, tunze pumps..blah, blah, blah.

I have a skimmer and manually dose calcium. The tool I like the best is the reef keeper. I am able to monitor ph, temperature, wave cycles and lights automatically. Absolutely love it.

Joe

Ya I dose by hand 60 ml a day, and run my skimmer, refugium, nothing special. I could use a RKII if I had some extra cash. That will be one of the next purchases...

chrisjet;168651 wrote: Uv is good to have, likely wont cause any probs

Except HUGE HEAT ISSUES. And heaven forbid the quartz tube every crack or break, its like lowering one of your lights into your tank.

I personally do happen to rely on a lot of equipment, but I like maintaining. Its a necessary evil. When properly set up and monitored, it is no more an issue taht no equipment, just a lot less leg work. I went away for 10, and didnt have to do a thing.

I'm a fan of high end equipment. I think cheap equipment causes a lot of the tank crashes. If Your going to rely on automation make sure it's something you can trust and build two or three redundancies or back up plans into all your vital systems.

I like Tunze. I've been using an Osmolator for my kalkwasser topoff since the beginning of 04 with no problems.

jmaneyapanda;168747 wrote: Except HUGE HEAT ISSUES. And heaven forbid the quartz tube every crack or break, its like lowering one of your lights into your tank.

I personally do happen to rely on a lot of equipment, but I like maintaining. Its a necessary evil. When properly set up and monitored, it is no more an issue taht no equipment, just a lot less leg work. I went away for 10, and didnt have to do a thing.

Huge heat?? Maybe a 1/2 of a degree if that. I wouldnt say HUGE! True I never thought about the quartz breaking but then , i have never heard of it happening to anyone.

chrisjet;168807 wrote: Huge heat?? Maybe a 1/2 of a degree if that. I wouldnt say HUGE! True I never thought about the quartz breaking but then , i have never heard of it happening to anyone.

Man, I have heard people heat increase like 4-5 degrees. It is a big heat source, particularly in the summer. Imagine lowering light bulb into the water, how much heat do they make? That is what is being done. The quartz tube acan and may break when people service the unit. I have seen several that fracture when they were reinseerted roughly. Certainly not a common event, but possible.

Back