Evaporation

lmm1967

Reaction score
How much top off are people adding?

60 gallon cube, egg crate top, probably about 15 gallon sump, psk75 (?) skimmer and I seem to going through about 3/4 gallon per day right now.

Makes me wonder about the feasibility of a sump with a lid plus a lid over the tank with just the overflow area open for gas exchange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing's wrong. Mainly wanting to know if we are on par with others.

ATO is coming. But if a cover can significantly slow it down I'm thinking - why not?

I have a 60 cube and I add about the same every day. I have an ATO. Maybe I'll figure out how to set that up someday.

Lmm1967;1069402 wrote: Nothing's wrong. Mainly wanting to know if we are on par with others.

ATO is coming. But if a cover can significantly slow it down I'm thinking - why not?

I see. Like the others have said that doesn't seem excessive. It will be slight less in the summer.

3 gallons a day.

id advise against a lid. ph will inevitably drop due to lack of gas exchange unless you have a skimmer air tube outside the house grabbing fresh air.

gas exchange has it's draw backs, but is a necessary evil. i evap a ton more during the winter as well due to the fact our water is heating. dry air isnt helping our situation either.

ill agree with everyone here. seems right

Lmm1967;1069402 wrote: Nothing's wrong. Mainly wanting to know if we are on par with others.

I use glass covers and let the gas exchange come from the sump. The glass covers dropped my evaporation in half. Like others have said, it will be better in the summer.

If you do decide to go with glass covers, you'll need to clean them about once every 3 weeks or so to keep them clear for the light to pass through with as little impedance as possible.

Catgirl29;1069417 wrote: I have a 60 cube and I add about the same every day. I have an ATO. Maybe I'll figure out how to set that up someday.

Call me and I can walk you through how to setup your gravity fed ato. :)

Like others said your probably about right on your top off. I go through 3+ gallons a day during the winter and about a 2 gallons per day during the summer.

That's the info I was hoping to hear.

Thanks everyone!

Back