Experience with Golden/Orange spotted Rabbitfish?

geno

Market
Reaction score
I saw one of these at a LFS, -- beautiful fish. I read that they can be kept in a reef tank with caution. Anyone had any experience with one in a reef tank?

My experience is that they are very shy. I think the reef concern is with any rabbitfish, as sometimes they'll eat coral. Being a rabbitfish, they are also venemous.

Keep in mind they get BIG and may eat corals like Danny mentioned. I have one and he has been a model citizen so far. Although he came from Joe(Sailfish) and he was picking at his Acans in his tank.

I had a scribbled rabbitfish and it never touched any of my corals. They are venomous, but it was a very skittish fish. It would always hide if I put my hand in the tank. However, it would eat seaweed out of my hand.

As always, I thank you for your feedback.

It looks like it's a typical crap shoot to put one in my reef tank. Since I don't want to upset the balance I have now -- I guess I'll look at reef safe fish -- which clearly limits my search for a new member.

Get this -- I have a Niger Trigger that is a good boy (for now). He went in last and my tangs have him a run for his money -- but it held his ground and everyone seems to play together well. He was much smaller than the tangs (originally) -- he'r growing like a weed.

Can I put a blue-jaw trigger with my Niger?

Back