Experience with Horseshoe Crabs??

raisingtwo2006

Market
Reaction score
I want to get a couple of http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=179&parent_category=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4">these</a> little guys...

Experiences? Good or bad--

I have one in my tank. I see him every once in a while. He stirs up the sand really well, only thing is if i have something stuck in the sand he will knock it over or move it around. A few weeks ago took a cute picture of one of my hermit taking a ride on this back.

I know Capp Bay gets them ever so often.

I do not have lots of sand areas for him and I would strongly suggest that you have plenty of sandy areas for him to dig through, so try to get a small one. Might be better off checking a LFS to see if you can find a right size for your tank.

Mine has lived for well over 6 months now....

Saltwaterfish.com has them 1-2inches for 8.99..
I haven't seen one around here at all.. I saw the ones at Capp bay, but that was before I moved the puffer, so I couldn't get them.

You do understand that your 1' to 2" HSC does not stay 1 - 2"?

They get big as uh.....mmmmmm...a flat football.

They eat the beneficial worms and other denizens of the sand bed. Only the larger tanks can sustain them for long periods of time as they can and will wipe out much of sand bed fauna in most tanks. You can get away with one in a smaller tank if you don't mind supplemental feeding. To do so, you have to flip them over and feed them manually.

I had one also when I was a n00b- keep these in the ocean, they prefer colder temps, and usually starve in reef tanks.

Back