Experienced reefer new to the Atlanta area!

Grievs

Market
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm Grievs and I'm new to the area, but not new to reefing. I'm working towards setting up a new 200 gallon tank (details/build thread here; https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/g...agoon-the-ideation-phase.761956/#post-8854428) and have been keeping saltwater reef tanks for almost a decade, starting with a standard 29 gallon, then a 50 gallon lagoon.

One question I had is how people actually get their HUGE tanks into the right place in their house? The tanks I've set up in the past have been manageable to move by myself while empty (or maybe with a friend), but the company I've ordered from only offers curbside delivery. Hire some specialty movers? Get some buddies to come over and pay them in beer? The 750+ lb crated weight of the tank scares me a little!

I'm also interested to get the lowdown on local fish stores in the area. I'll be looking for large numbers of the same frag for the tank I've got planned (or larger colonies I can frag up myself).

Anyway, looking forward to getting to know everyone! :)

Welcome to the club, you have a bunch of great people here always willing to help. Congratulations on your closing and the ordering of your new tank. You could probably pay on here requesting assistance, that's how a wire a few of us have been able to move in our tanks. As stated the club does have suction cups, I belive you do have to be a supporting member but the fee is cheaper then cup rentals or purchase!

As far as speed you have quite a few depending on your location an nf how far your willing to drive. I'll list a few, I'm sure I've probably missed some! Plus you have some guys here that offer some great corals as well, just not sure you quantity you may need.

Good luck on the build and I look forward to following!

Atlanta aquarium
Nemos 1&2
Pure reef
Premier aquatics
Reef shac
Frag lab
The fish store
Carolina kid corals - South Carolina
Joker corals - local
Bulldawg reef - local

Welcome to the ARC! When I have had tanks delivered, the driver had a hand truck and pulled it up the driveway for me. I gave them some cash 💰 as a thank you!

If/when you need a hand moving/lifting the tank, just post on here & you can usually get several people to come by, especially for beer frags ;)
(covid protocol please)

In Marietta you will find Optimum Aquarium & in Woodstock Creation Pet, both are sponsor stores of the club. If you become a supporting member, they will also give you a 10 % discount on livestock.

My 610g glass tank was about 1300lbs empty. I was fortunate to have help from a member here with pallets and two pallet jacks to move/lift it. I’ve moved a few 210-220g tanks by hand though. It’s doable with some strong hands

Thanks for the warm welcome all! I'm in Marietta and I'll definitely have to become a supporting member, that 10% discount alone is worth it! ;)

Looks like I'll have to get a brisket or some pork shoulder on the smoker and load up on some beer frags once I know the delivery date!

Welcome to ARC and Atlanta. Nice to meet you, Grievs. There's Premier Aquatics in Marietta but that's all I know since I'm really new to Georgia myself. I'll be going to PA on May 10th! My friend's roommate probably isn't going to want to drive us all around to find different stores so we're going to the one we know of haha. Anyways. I hope you figure out how to get that beast of a crate into your house.

Back