Experiment using UV while Cycling

dakota9

Market
Reaction score
i know.....

it flies in the face of common sense. Why kill bacteria when you’re trying so hard to cultivate it?

here’s the problem I’m addressing;

I’m looking to try to get ahead of the inevitable diatom, cyno and macro algae outbreaks that are bound to come up in a new reef tank. Reefers usually try UV AFTER and outbreak, I’m trying to get ahead of outbreaks

my proposed solution;

run UV from day 1

(perhaps remove UV after system is stocked, and then only using it after any new addition)

system;

16 gal biocube

Cobalt MJ1200 return

9 Watt UV with 140 gph pump

heater

10 pounds clean, washed (rinse, repeat) dead sand

15 pounds bleached rock

media;

Blue/white filter pad

100 micron filter pad

1/2 liter Seachem Matrix

Seachem Seagel

Seachem Purigen

Live rock Rubble

Cycling tank using Fluval Cycle bio additive . Also picked up several pieces of live rock ruble to seed tank (which two pieces had coral growing on them, just a zoa polyp on one and a branching softy on another. Both tiny, but SCORE!).

According to directions on Fluval Cycle, the tank should be cycled and ready to go, but I’m giving it much longer since I’m bending the rules a bit.

I followed directions on the Fluval Cycle bottle, but poured the additive through the sump, where it would have to contact all the media before traveling through the return and come in contact with the live rock in the display, before it could come in contact with the UV Sterilizer. I thought this would give me the best shot of seeding my still fallow tank (save from the small hitchhikers I picked up which will become my test subjects I suppose).

im hoping to bypass the “brown Phase”, the “Green Phase”, and the “Ugly Tank” phase altogether.

Today is day 3. No visual changes

hitchhiker Polyps alive and well
T3n3gpq84v5evi9uu7p1u1gzm80tbmeif.jpg
alt="image" />
Twrxape9w7zwt30s4sfdyu9go4t5qo6na.jpg
alt="image" />

I’ll update if I’m successful

You can’t skip the nitrogen cycle. Uv will only kill organic cells, won’t have an affect on amount of organic presents in the water. I think this is ok, but Uv is not a filter.  Good luck anyway.

Back