Exploding Heater

fishgardener

Market
Reaction score
The heater in my 29 gal reef tank literally blew up about an hour ago. It caused a crack in the upper seam of the aquarium and the water is leaking out. I have a small 20 gal that I put a few of the corals in, but it has it's own fish and I'm afraid to overload it. How long can you put too much livestock in a tank in an emergerncy without causing harm?. Is the water in the 29 gal poisoned? It smells dreadful and has a black film on top. The fish are alive, I was afraid they had been killed. Can the live rock be kept in unheated water until I can buy another tank? What is inside a heater unit? I'm not sure how to proceed. Any advise would be great. Thanks

Wow- sorry to hear that. I have an empty 20 gallon if you'd like to borrow it.

I would try to do a large water change asap, just to be on the safe side.

The LR should be fine. What kind of heater was it? Was a portion of it out of the water?

i have atn you can use im in lawrenceville but i will be going to marietta later today let meknow if you want to meet upvictor

I have a 20G you can borrow also. I am off of Mars Hill Rd in Acworth. Call me 770-974-7892 if you want to come borrow it. I also have 10G of fresh salt water already mixed if you need it. I was going to do a water change today but I can wait.

Darren

Bummer... SO sorry.

I have a 33g you can borrow if you have one set of supporting equipment (protein skimmer/flow/lights) and want to put everything in one tank rather than splitting it into two 20g's.

I'm @ Dallas Highway/Barrett Parkway, not too terribly far from Acworth. Or, I could throw it in the back of my car and you could pick it up at Marietta Square tomorrow.

LMK.

the heater was a Hydrosafe brand. It was hard to read it. It was burned and a mess. It was underwater to the correct level. It is only about 2-3 years old.
I have the corals divided between the 20 gal and a little 10 gal I borrowed but my filter won't work on it so the fish have no filtration at the moment, but they are in clean salt water. The live rock that did have any coral on it is just in a 5 gal bucket at the moment.

Linda Lee I would love to borrow your 33gal until I can get a new tank. Then I could use my protein skimmer and filter.

Does anyone have a recomendation on a new heater. I don't want to do this again. I'm going to have to paint the walls. and ceiling. Black stuff went all over them.

fishgardener;106250 wrote: Linda Lee I would love to borrow your 33gal until I can get a new tank. Then I could use my protein skimmer and filter.

Let me know how/when you want to pick it up.

I've never seen a heater actually explode. Like Victor said, go with a Marineland Stealth if you don't want to spend them money on titanium. They're not glass, so they shouldn't explode. I would contact Hydor, if that's the company that made it and see what they have to say about it.

Linda Lee, I will be in Marietta tomorrow from 12-4:30 near Marietta Square. I can pick it up before or after those times. Where do you want to meet? :)

I think I'd like to buy a bigger tank now that I have to get a new one. Where do you recommend going to get one thats not too expensive?

Fishgardener

Fishgardner...I think flyingarmy has a nice 65g for sale with some goodies. It's lacking a stand though.

fishgardener;106299 wrote: Linda Lee, I will be in Marietta tomorrow from 12-4:30 near Marietta Square. I can pick it up before or after those times. Where do you want to meet? :)

I think I'd like to buy a bigger tank now that I have to get a new one. Where do you recommend going to get one thats not too expensive?

Fishgardener

PM sent with info for meeting.

I am interested in the 65 gal tank. I got a PM about one for sale, but I'm BellSouth and my server crashed yesterday. ours hasn't come back up yet. I'm in the library using their's. Hopefully I'll have email and internet by tomorrow. Does Flyingarmy's tank have a light?

Back