Extension Woes

Mikemont1991

Reaction score
Hey, All,

I've had my tank for around 3 1/12 months now.2 juv clownfish and my corals are a Hammer (placed low level on rock, moderate flow), Two-headed torch elevated off the sand about 2 inches with a powerhead toward it, a mushroom on rock, a chalice on rock, an alveopora on the sand, and a monti cap up at the top. 20 Gallon RS Max nano

It's hard to tell if my shroom/chalice/monti are affected by this since they don't show as much stress as the wavy LPS, but I noticed in the past couple of weeks that my torch, hammer, and alveopora have not been extending like they used to, some totally tucked away--seem shrunken or that something is bothering them. I ran all my tests and found: Amm-0 Nitrite-0 Nitrate-0 Salinity-Between 1.026-1.025 Cal-490 pH-8.3, but I saw my Alk had dropped to 4dhk, which was way below my normal 7. I buy water from my LFS, so I'm thinking I just got a bad batch with low dkh. I've been dosing Seachem ReefBuilder in my ATO, and I've brought it back up to 7 this week (I've since heard I should be shooting for 10-14, so I'll keep dosing), but no noticeable difference in extension yet. My questions are:

1) Is it possible that the 4dkh really upset my coral that much if everything else is in line?
2) How long should I expect to wait/or before I start to panic until I see results from raising my dkh?

Thank you for the help!

It seems “it’s just a bad batch of salt” has been the common excuse I’ve heard recently. But I’ve yet to witness it, and its highly improbable that all the times I’ve heard it have been accurate. Your Alk could have dropped for various reasons, so I’d be a little cautious about jumping to conclusions... basically, I’m recommending to keep your eyes open.

You’re correct in that below 7 is very low, and even 7 is considered low. However, 10-14 is dangerously high. I’d recommend aiming for 8.4 dkH (+/- 1.0), and don’t increase it any faster than 0.3-0.5 dkH per day.

But yes, 4 dkH is terrible and can definitely be your main contributing factor for coral stress.

After your dkH is between 8.0 and 9.0... I’d say give it a few days, and get back to us. Meanwhile, as previously mentioned, keep your eyes open.

How is the alkalinity being maintained between water changes, as it is used up?

Do you have a dosing system, calcium reactor, or what? Anything besides in the ATO water?

Also, what is the frequency & percentage of your water changes?

How is the alkalinity being maintained between water changes, as it is used up?

Do you have a dosing system, calcium reactor, or what?

Also, what is the frequency & percentage of your water changes?
I had been just doing water changes to maintain what gets used up since it's such a small system. I do a 20-25% change every week usually, but I've slowed down a bit since my Nitrates are non-existent and I thought that might be the problem originally.

I had been just doing water changes to maintain what gets used up since it's such a small system. I do a 20-25% change every week usually, but I've slowed down a bit since my Nitrates are non-existent and I thought that might be the problem originally.

Especially in such a small system, low nutrients is less a problem than high nutrients. I’d say choose a water change schedule and stick with it; 20-25% every 1-2 weeks is fine for both nutrients and managing Alk and calc. Just keep testing your water regularly so you notice when something changes, such as what happened here.

I’m just wondering how alk could be that low with 20-25%/week water changes?

Also, curious to know what test kit you are testing the alk with?

I’m just wondering how alk could be that low with 20-25%/week water changes?

Also, curious to know what test kit you are testing the alk with?

Same here, I was shocked, but I use Salifert and double checked with a Hannah. It’s back up at 7 now I just have to wait and see I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that either-

-the saltwater you purchased had very low alk, or
-it was possibly testing error

I just don’t see anything else that makes sense. Maybe I’ve missed something?

I think that either-

-the saltwater you purchased had very low alk, or
-it was possibly testing error

I just don’t see anything else that makes sense. Maybe I’ve missed something?

Totally agree, I might get water elsewhere next time and double check it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It also can be too much flow or too much light. You mentioned a powerhead pointed at them.

The will also recede with a lack of phosphate. I believe they also need bacteria as a pathway to get the phosphate. If you have been doing large water changes you eliminate both the phosphate and the pathway. I had a nano that I did nothing but top off water and feed the fish for 2 years. When I cleaned the glass my hammer had doubled in size. Euphyllia like higher levels of nitrates and phosphate.

Another thing to look out for is an annoying critter like a peppermint shrimp or a crab.

I agree with the above. Try to keep your tank alkalinity closer to 8. My experience is that high alk exacerbates low nutrient issues.

Back