External Pump for a Skimmer?

flyingarmy

Market
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a external pump on a skimmmer? Such as a Iwaki or Little Giant? I know they are designed for just pumping water, but could one be modified to use as a skimmer pump? Any ideas would great! Thanks in advance!

How do you mean, exactly? Many skimmers use external pumps like that (venturis and beckett skimmers in particular...). Are you thinking of using one as a needlewheel or threadwheel for a recirculating skimmer? The answer is yes--it's quite easy to use one that way. I actually have an iwaki that I've mesh-modded. I just dremelled off the impeller to get a flat surface and glued on an acrylic disk, then drilled it in a few places and zip tied some mesh to it. I never did get a chance to use it on a skimmer, though...I had to steal it away to run my chiller...

You could make a pretty crude venturi and stick it on a 5gal water jug to see how it does (which has been done before). Limitless possibilities, really. The problem is these pumps are not all very efficient (some are--look at the Reeflo Dart needlewheel skimmer that has just come out), and you are usually better off going with a lower wattage pump like an OR3500, Ehiem, Sedra, etc...

I made a external mesh-wheel pump out of a Gen X Mak4. It pulled 40 Scfm of air. Not really good IMO, but that was a couple of years ago and standards were different.

First determine how much air you want and then see what pump can fit your need.

Roland Jacques;91421 wrote: I made a external mesh-wheel pump out of a Gen X Mak4. It pulled 40 Scfm of air. Not really good IMO, but that was a couple of years ago and standards were different.

First determine how much air you want and then see what pump can fit your need.

Exactly..

I have a Iwaki 30(something) that is a spare pump. Just wondering if using that with a mesh mode or using a Rio 1400(needlewheel or mesh mode) would be better. I want to use my Pacific Coast 400 skimmer external on my sump. Unless I cut out a bubble trap in the skimmer it will have to go outside the sump. I already have a bulkhead in the sump so I might as well use it and save on heat transfer from a submerged pump. I'll have to try some different options once I get it set up and running. Thanks for the advice...keep it coming!

I'm not sure what a P C 400 is. I don't think i have ever seen that model. so I'm still not sure what size it is, or how much air it would require. Whats the dimensions of that skimmer?

I can tell you that as far as external only pumps magnetic drive pumps are not my first choice. They can get vibration issues. Direct drive pumps work much better IMO, like a Dart...

If you are interested in a trade, I wouldn't mind switching pumps with you ;-)

Mine is an Iwaki 40rlxt with a mesh mod (but it's not enkamat mesh--it's from a 3M pad, and could easily be re-done). Thing is, you would need to either bring it down here (since I can't take my chiller off line for long), or give me yours first and let me bring you mine after I make the swap.

flyingarmy;91402 wrote: Has anyone ever used a external pump on a skimmmer? Such as a Iwaki or Little Giant? I know they are designed for just pumping water, but could one be modified to use as a skimmer pump? Any ideas would great! Thanks in advance!

Reeflo makes a needlewheel impellor for their ORCA pumps, that thing is a beast!

One note- if you're planning on using the pump on a Beckett skimmer, youll need a pressure pump (as opposed to a flow pump).

I have a Sequence 3200 on my dual beckett....

Back