External pump / noise

basscyn

Market
Reaction score
Guys,
I just bought a used Little Giant external pump for my build. This is my first ride with an external pump.

WOW...this thing is really loud. Is this inherent of external pumps?
I would be OK with a <u>little</u> noise because my sump/pump are behind the wall of my display. But I can hear this through the wall!!!

Are Little Giant pumps prone to be noisy?
Can they be fixed?

Thanks for the help.

Some are worse than others, I haven't owned a little giant, but I don't think they have the repuation for being quiet. How may GPH are you trying to push?

those pumps are loud. Reeflo and Blueline externals are almost silent. I have both running and can't even tell they're on.

The posiden line is really quiet, but they add a lot of heat. I don't remember where their GPH maxes out at.

Yeah, Little Giants are VERY noisy. Try getting a carpet square from Home Depot or Lowes (a sample) and put it under the pump. It's the vibration on a hard surface that makes them so bad.

That won't get rid of all the noise, but some of it.

I bought a square of rubber and put the base of the pump on that so all vibration noise is gone. I get much more noise from the actual flow of water out the overflow and supply side flow into the tank than the sump. I have 2 4MDQX-SCs but they are in the basement so.... not so worried about it.

I've got a blueline 40HD-X and you can't even hear it running... holding it, you can only feel the startup torque, there's almost no vibration...

Yeah they vary alot, I had a gen-x that sounded like a freight train and replaced it with a blueline from MRC and the difference was night and day.

Iwakis are great pumps. The cheif engineer at iwaki started his own company:panworld pumps (aka blueline).

Fyi: Mouse pads make great pump pads.

Skriz;359791 wrote: Iwakis are great pumps. The cheif engineer at iwaki started his own company:panworld pumps (aka blueline).

Fyi: Mouse pads make great pump pads.

Didn't run into any intellectual property rights?

au01st;359807 wrote: Didn't run into any intellectual property rights?

He's a smart guy...he made some changes. He's not so creative though; the model numbers are almost identical!

I could never get my Little Giant to run quiet. Mine had internal vibration that I could not stop. Finnally replaced with a Quiet One Pump. HUGE difference.

Back