External pump placement

john_shay

Market
Reaction score
Ok, I'm trying to use a 40b to make a sump, I want to avoid drilling if possible. I know I can't really mount an external pump above the water level, so I'm wondering if I I mount it below and run pipe up and over the edge, will it work? My thinking is after I prime it and run it once, water will settle and stay in the pump when I turn it off later. Any input it appreciate. I hope I made sense. I will draw a picture and upload later if not

not sure I would want to take the chance with that setup, no guarantees if power went out and you wasn't around to make sure that pump got primed.
I would go with drilling the 40b.

I guess then my follow up, if I go that route, would be.... does anyone have the bits, and/or experience drilling. I don't expect to do this often so I don't want to buy new tools

If you want to make the drive, we can drill our tanks together. I recently bought bits for my upgrade.

I have drilled once before. Things went smoothly.

What size holes you want? I have a bit for 1" bulkheads and not that far from you.

Nevermind, probably a bad time to build a new sump and slam a hole in the wall.

Talk with pure reef, they drilled a hole in our sump. Ours is acrylic, but they might do glass aswell.

Back