External skimmer plumbing

anthony

Market
Reaction score
Want to run a external skimmer off my return pump. Looking for some suggestions or plumbing designs. Dont want to buy another pump for skimmer feed.

Do u have a manifold built on? What kind of return pump r u using? Can u post a few pics of the sump set up?
I think u need an extra 600-700gph + about 3-4 ft of headloss so maybe another 300-400 gph more from that pump.

Im using the Jebao12000 DCT. Just have flex/plastic hose on it now but planning on hard plumbing it wit a T for the skimmer

Anthony;1107267 wrote: Im using the Jebao12000 DCT. Just have flex/plastic hose on it now but planning on hard plumbing it wit a T for the skimmer

I built a manifold in to the return line.

Just teed off the return line and added a few more tees with some valves. Nothing fancy. Runs GFO and carbon reactors when needed.

cba5c34f3c77d04e199e8a90a228866a.jpg
alt="" />

Anthony, you might want to consider upgrading to a DCT 15000. I run a dct 12000 for my 30g frag tank three return lines and a manifold for Gfo, Carbon, uv and a calcium reactor feed. It's completely maxed out. Just something to think about.

zachxlutz;1107268 wrote: I built a manifold in to the return line.

Just teed off the return line and added a few more tees with some valves. Nothing fancy. Runs GFO and carbon reactors when needed.

cba5c34f3c77d04e199e8a90a228866a.jpg
alt="" />

Zach, what is that in top of the red lid on your Tupperware container? Lol.

What kind of pipe/line are you using thats so flexible?

Anthony;1107281 wrote: What kind of pipe/line are you using thats so flexible?

The hard plumbing is just PVC, the flexible lines heading to the reactors is 1/2" Mur-lok Polyethylene RO Tubing from Bulk Reef Supply.

If your return pump has enough flow to handle the tank turnover and the skimmer, yeah go for it. Just tap off the line with a valve and youre done. You can run everything on your tank off one pump if its big enough.

BUT if its not big enough, just accept it and buy another pump.

The DCT 12000 is a 3170 GPH I believe it should be enough

What about hooking up one of the return line from the tank to feed the skimmer?

Anthony;1107297 wrote: The DCT 12000 is a 3170 GPH I believe it should be enough

Maybe not......At 5' of head its already down to 2000 gph. Always check the pump curve, there are a lot of pumps that loose a LOT of flow with a little head on them.

Back