External Skimmer Question

lukestimp

Market
Reaction score
I'm in the Process of setting up an Octo Tank, and was wondering if there is a way I can run a Skimmer with no Sump below the Display Tank. I've heard the only way to run a Skimmer externally is by having it above the water Line. My issue is that the Tank is a Unique Shape, and there is no way I can accomodate a sump into the stand below the DT, but I would have room to have a skimmer Only. Any Ideas?

Off topic but what all to you have to have to do an octo tank like what all is diff than a fish with lr setup aka size etc...sorry to be off topic i have just never seen one

Probably the Biggest Issue is the Top has to be completely covered, an Octo can fit through any Hole that is as large as their Beak. When it comes to Tank size it really depends on the Type of Octo. I've seen some dwarfs kept in 29 Gallon Biocube's, but others need 120+. Another thing you have to consider is that they prefer a Cooler Temp tank,some will tolerate the 78-80 degree temps but they don't seem to live as long in those. The Lifespan of an Octo is somewhere between 12 and 18 Months, you hear of some being 2 Years but not alot. Probably the biggest Drawback for most is that an Octo is pretty much a speciman only tank. Some people keep Clowns and such with them, but they can't be to surprised when they wake up one morning and there missing a few fish..

you can put an external skimmer anywhere as long as you have a water supply and a place for it to drain.

chrisjet;199388 wrote: you can put an external skimmer anywhere as long as you have a water supply and a place for it to drain.

Drain is the key word there. Skimmers don't drain up. If you had a pump pulling water from a skimmer instead of pushing it you could force water back up without causing back pressure inside the skimmer, but you would have to use a recirculating pump to create the foam.

The next issue is if the power goes out. Unless the skimmer is fully pressurized with a shutoff valve on the air intake and waste collector, you will flood when the power goes out.

If you drill your tank and install an internal overflow box and mesh it, and keep the mesh clean, you should be able to prevent the octopus from entering into it. Your downfall would be when he rips the mesh off.

Not really. There is one skimmer that I know of that can kind of do it, but it does sort of a closed sump section. I would suggest installing some sort of automated top off system and skip the skimmer if you really can't do a sump. That said, usually there is some way to put a small sump in even if space is very limited.

DannyBradley;199398 wrote: Drain is the key word there. Skimmers don't drain up. If you had a pump pulling water from a skimmer instead of pushing it you could force water back up without causing back pressure inside the skimmer, but you would have to use a recirculating pump to create the foam.

The next issue is if the power goes out. Unless the skimmer is fully pressurized with a shutoff valve on the air intake and waste collector, you will flood when the power goes out.

If you drill your tank and install an internal overflow box and mesh it, and keep the mesh clean, you should be able to prevent the octopus from entering into it. Your downfall would be when he rips the mesh off.

Wow your master of the obvious, you mean to tell me that water doesnt drain in the upward position ?? Sorry for assuming that everyone on here knows how gravity works "silly me" :doh:

Chris- The only thing that's obvious here is how dangerously wrong your reply was.

He asked if he could put a skimmer below the stand with no sump. You replied he could do exactly that with no problems. I addressed specifically the major issues with attempting that and offered solutions as to how he might accomplish that. I'll try to explain this as simply as I can so that even you may be able to grasp the concept.

A skimmer is an open system. If the skimmer is below the stand and has a way for air to escape, a vacuum will also cause water to escape through the same hole when the power is cut and air is no longer entering the skimmer.

A bit of advice to you: Post less, as what little respect people may have for you has a better chance of staying intact.

DannyBradley;199745 wrote: Chris- The only thing that's obvious here is how dangerously wrong your reply was.

He asked if he could put a skimmer below the stand with no sump. You replied he could do exactly that with no problems. I addressed specifically the major issues with attempting that and offered solutions as to how he might accomplish that. I'll try to explain this as simply as I can so that even you may be able to grasp the concept.

A skimmer is an open system. If the skimmer is below the stand and has a way for air to escape, a vacuum will also cause water to escape through the same hole when the power is cut and air is no longer entering the skimmer.

A bit of advice to you: Post less, as what little respect people may have for you has a better chance of staying intact.

this is coming from a guy who cleans tanks for a living - get a life dork!

chrisjet;199764 wrote: this is coming from a guy who cleans tanks for a living - get a life dork!

Chris, I don't think you're in a position whatsoever to be an elitist. The real irony of that comment from you is that we're both in the maintenance business. You'd probably do a better job of defining your points if you were to first remove your foot from your mouth.

Jeep- Sorry about being part of messing up your thread.

Mods- Can we move this to R&C?

Just don't jump to the point where it needs to be moved to R&C. Just because two users had an argument, doesn't mean that the two involved can't be grown-up enough to put a stop to it. Just drop the whole thing and let others chime in.

I think you returning must have something to do with it. I haven't been in an arguement since the Fish Store and More closing thread.

DannyBradley;199774 wrote: Chris, I don't think you're in a position whatsoever to be an elitist. The real irony of that comment from you is that we're both in the maintenance business. You'd probably do a better job of defining your points if you were to first remove your foot from your mouth.

Jeep- Sorry about being part of messing up your thread.

Mods- Can we move this to R&C?

Im no trying to be an elitist but you dont have to call me out because you didnt agree with what I said. About us both being in the maintenenance business, you clean fish tanks. I am a Lead Experimental Test Mech at Lockheed working on 180 million dollar jets. Apples and oranges if you ask me.
I'm done with this thread, next time start sh$t with someone else.

dawgdude;199880 wrote: Hmmm......well it seems to me that something like a CLSS 125 would work with some crafty acrylic skills. You would need to perfectly cut out holes for the pump in and the output line but it seems to me that it would be the best since the output is a tube and not a waterfall type. Its just going to come down to cutting holes for the pump in and pump out. After thinking more though, something like an Octopus NW recirc would work really well because you could supply it with a TINY pump and just drill two small holes. You would need to mount it higher than the tank water level so that a siphon doesnt flood down to your skimmer. Either way, you will need the operating level of the skimmer above the top of the tank because of physics.

As long as his tank has enough capacity to handle any water exiting the skimmer during a power outage, mounting it above the tank is an option if applicable.

I had a mimic octopus for a few weeks while doing retail to make sure it was healthy and eating before I would let it go home. I kept it in a tank inside of a tank. If you're not worried about aesthetics and just want to keep it for the challenge and fun, use a big critter keeper... with a rock on top, of course.

I've also kept Cuttlefish, which are much cooler, if you ask me.

Back