Extra backup pumps

joseayes

Market
Reaction score
Fact: Pumps break before or when you’re in vacation!.
This just happened to me, as I turned off the main pump in one of my tanks to feed frozen, well, the pump also wanted to stay frozen, didn’t woke up after 15 mins delay for feeding, (Mag 7) I can even say that I have a hate mind of it, they’re noisy, but sometimes and not many, reliable. Was doing the on/off feeding time every other day and have to kill pumps (skimmer and return) and turn off the ATO while feeding, everything like most of us do.
Thanks that I’ve another pump that I purchased from a friend (thanks Scott!) and a bin full of pvc parts and different size hoses I was able to swap the pump, just cut the PVC coupler and use the barb from this pump, reef octopus controllable pump, installed a plastic clamp, check for sump level and adjust the flow for reactor, UV and chiller, back in business. This pump is awesome, I was living under a rock, variable speed, feeding delay and I can’t even hear any noise of it. Had a vectra L that I’ve sold previously and never used, so it was more time for me to keep me blind.
This could have been a disaster to me, going on a short holiday vacation and I couldn’t imagine what it could have happened. Get extra pumps, I even have large external pumps here waiting for me to run a larger tank but wouldn’t be able to keep the tank running if I hadn’t had an extra internal pump.

Attachments

• C5676890-57E9-41EF-BF18-76DFADF995BF.jpeg
    C5676890-57E9-41EF-BF18-76DFADF995BF.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
  • 127803EB-5417-4E2F-9084-FE9E40B7DFDF.jpeg
    127803EB-5417-4E2F-9084-FE9E40B7DFDF.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
Well, since I knew this pumps are hard to die, (Pondmaster, Supreme or more likely called Mag’s) I decided to open the volute, since it’s the most common issue before the motor breaks or start to swollen after a few time plugged and impeller has stuck avoiding to spin, and right after opened found the volute damaged by excessive friction, it started to swing to one side until the shaft loosened it’s center, now I see why it was little noisy than normal.
Glad to find that this volute is ridiculous cheap at $4.20 online I’m getting one to replace it and have a fresh backup pumpity pump. Not a controllable pump hehe but it can save my bacon some day again :p

Attachments

• 88C0E665-3F2B-4563-AD8F-4F20E6B8E836.jpeg
    88C0E665-3F2B-4563-AD8F-4F20E6B8E836.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
I've had the same thing happen a few times over the years. At one point I always kept and extra impeller and volute in my fish box because it never seemed to happen at a convenient time. I have since moved to Sicce pumps to reduce heat and noise by do keep a few of these around for backups and salt mixing.

Back