Fabricating an aquarium cover

linda lee

Market
Reaction score
Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in Q&A, but since something like this would be *DYI*, I thought this was the best place to ask....

Our tank is open. We have compact pc's on *legs* which stand about 3-4 inches above the tank. We're researching a few fish that we're adding to a *wish list* which have the requirement of a *tight fitting canopy or lid*. We can only have a small bio load in that size tank and don't want the critters going A.W.O.L.

Wanted to get one of Cameron's glass tops, but after thinking about it, we can't ~ ~we have a HOT filter and will be adding a Back-Pack skimmer.

The aquarium has a *lip* which used to contain a combination glass/plastic hinged canopy (long gone ~ the tank is 20+ years old), so I thought something could rest on that lip and have cut-outs for equipment and cords.

I thought about plastic canvas #5 (which has 5 squares per inch), but I think it might difuse the light too much.

SmCanvas5.jpg
alt="" />

A friend I know uses garden netting, so I might try that.

http://www.china-wirenetting.com/images/3-2.gif" alt="" />

Anyone else have any ideas? What do you use to cover your tanks that takes into consideration the heat cause by the lamps and the ability for as much light as possible to pass into the tank?

Eventually, we'll have a larger tank and will build a canopy, but for now I need to come up with something that keeps the fish in the tank.

Thanks for putting up with my novice questions!!!

~Linda

P.S. ~ ~ We got a timer for the lights. The tank is 33 gals. <span style="color: darkred;">[B]How many hours per day should the lights be on?[/B]</span> (We turn the actinic on an hour early and leave them on an extra hour after the others have gone off. We'd like to add lunar lights, too.)

The 1-2" back of the glass cover is cuttable plastic, but if you want to keep it simple just use eggcrate. you can cut it easily to fit. That is what I use. It will cut down on some of the light going into the tank, but not that much and probably not noticable to the human eye.

I have some of the cuttable plastic you can have and also some of the plastic hinges that is for making your own glass tops that I never uses for a project. All you would have to do is get some pieces of glass from Lowes. Let me know if you want it!

That would be great, thanks!

What about the heat factor if I cover my tank this way? I have a Coralife fixture on brackets with 96WX2 PC's.

I leave these on 12 hrs/day. (Still don't know if this is the right timing; actinics come on an hour earlier and go off an hour later.)

PCs aren't going to send much heat in the tank. You won't get evap cooling with a full cover, but as long as your house stays cool your tank will likely on be a couple degrees warmer than the room unless you run some big and/or inefficient pumps. If it does get hot, $20 and those an eggcrate lighting cover from Lowes or Home Depot is the way to go. Prevents fish from jumping, easy to cut to shape and very open.

Also eggcrate is a light diffuser. It angles at one end. Make sure to put it with the thinner side facing up. You can't beat cheap eggcrate from your local hardware store for a custom lid.

i made a top for my tank baiscally the same way you would make a screen for a windown. i bought the frame and corner pieces and made a rectangle that fit the top of my tank. instead of using a screen though i got some real thin fabric netting from jo ann fabrics and put that in using the spline. i know its metal, but for $10 buck i can replace it every few years.

I have a two piece glass lid for a 36" tank if that helps any.

Thanks to all who responded!

I decided to go eggcrate. We're also going to cut it into 2 side-by-side pieces so we don't have to take the whole thing off when accessing just one end of the tank.

Good idea. I cut one solid piece for my 3' side and three smaller pieces for my other side. The side with three peices is easier to access.

Back