Fallen Frog Spawn

tnyga

Market
Reaction score
Seems my FS fell from a ledge last night when I turned lights on this am. I took him out of the rocks and most of his tenacles are gone :( He was more than good last evening.

Other than my neglect to make sure he was secure :( will he come back or did I truly screw up?

Makes me wonder if Im even right for this hobby sometimes...

I don't know from experience, but I believe they can regrow their tentacles. Just give it ideal conditions, and it should heal itself.

I keep mine in my sandbed. I don't know why, but critters like to climb all over this thing. I'm expecting to see a tiny tire swing on it some morning when the lights come on....

If you put it back up on a rock, you might want to try securing it with a rubber band or a very small cable-tie.

Mine's very hardy... I'll bet yours will come back!

The will pull their tenacles in if threatened. Put it back in place it should be okay. One thing I do with frags with stems (frogspawn, torch and hammers) I have a long drill bit (bit, 18 inches long and another thats 22) I drill into the live rock (with a cordless drill motor of course) and then put a little super glue into the hole then put the frag in.

GREAT news...I came home and apparently it retracted because nows it out and as good as ever...BTW Jeff, I put it in the substrate lol

tnyga;78170 wrote: BTW Jeff, I put it in the substrate lol

Glad to hear it's okay!

Even in the substrate, your critters may treat it like a jungle gym, but at least when it falls over, it'll have a softer landing.

I've walked by my tank before and witnessed an emerald crab hanging by one claw from a branch and swinging back 'n forth. Wierd.

I purchased my first coral tank used about 5 years ago. With it came the obligatory "box-o-junk". About a year after running the tank successfully, I was rummaging through the box-o-junk for something, and found a small dead coral skeleton from some sort of branching LPS. It looked cool, so I dropped it in the tank. A week later we noticed some growth on it! Today it is a huge frogspawn - largest coral in my tank.

Is this a common pehenomenon? I didnt think a coral could live anywhere near that long in a dry air environment...

jeff

greenhut;78507 wrote: I purchased my first coral tank used about 5 years ago. With it came the obligatory "box-o-junk". About a year after running the tank successfully, I was rummaging through the box-o-junk for something, and found a small dead coral skeleton from some sort of branching LPS. It looked cool, so I dropped it in the tank. A week later we noticed some growth on it! Today it is a huge frogspawn - largest coral in my tank.

Is this a common pehenomenon? I didnt think a coral could live anywhere near that long in a dry air environment...

jeff
I have heard of a coral that can come back after it bleaches out but none that come back from being dry:confused2:

Back