favia coral's light

colourmop

Reaction score
Hello:
I had this favia coral for 6 months now, I located it around a foot below water surface, with a 150W 20k MH light that is 1 foot above the water (so a foot of air and foot of water between the coral and light)
due to it annoying sting tentacles, I decided to move it up toward the light. I've read different stuffs about favia vs light, some said they dont like light, some said they are find if they have good pigments etc etc. I wish to move it to some place around 4-5 inch away from the water surface.
so could anyone who have some experience with favia tell me if it will be fine?
(also it is somewhat close to my zoas, will the favia/zoa start to kill each other? the zoas are hitchhackers)
thanks very much

I keep mine in the middle of my tank under and to the side of a 150 MH. But I kept it for a long time under PCs. I don't see tentacles since I put it under the MH. I don't know if thats a problem or not. Under the PCs I saw them when ever I fed the tank.

ahh thanks, do they actually eat any meaty food when you feed the tank? I've tried to use brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and a bunch of other stuffs, but they never touch any of them

Mine used to catch mysis but haven't seen it feed in the last few months

nice, mine never ate anything :
also, does your favia's growth speed slowdown/speed up after you moved it close to the light?

I have some favia that sting a nearby colony of palys. The tentacles are really long...probably 2 inches.

I feed mine mysis about once a week, along with my other LPS. Occasionally, some of the pellets I feed my fish fall in the dimples and get eaten.

In my tank, they are mid way, so about 10 inches below the water. 150MH sits about 3 inches above the water. They are doing well, some growth but I haven't really been keeping track.

Back