Feather Duster question

scramer74

Market
Reaction score
So I was trying to relocate my feather duster and I pulled off the tube/shell by mistake. I leaned it up against the "feathers" Will the worm crawl back into it? Or will it die?

no, more than likely it will just make a new tube. ive seen it happen a few times. if the worm dosent want to be relocated its not getting relocated lol

Oh yay! Ok that sounds promising. I'll have to look up how it builds the tube, interesting.

Hi Pico! Haven't seen you on in a while. good to see you :)

I have been thinking about a way to encourage mine to move. He was fine but then the clown started hosting the powerhead not too far way and every time the feather duster opens, the clown bites it so I am worried that it will die.

Well I was warned not to move it since it attaches to the rock. I only had it a few days so I didn't think it was that quick.

If it's just in the sand I would say go for it.

scramer74;1028581 wrote: Oh yay! Ok that sounds promising. I'll have to look up how it builds the tube, interesting.

Hi Pico! Haven't seen you on in a while. good to see you :)

yea i was in florida for a week and have been busy since i got back but its good to be back :)

Picoreefguy;1028697 wrote: yea i was in florida for a week and have been busy since i got back but its good to be back :)

What part of Florida? I grew up in Ft Lauderdale and Stuart.

i was in panama city beach. i used to live in citrus county when i was a kid though.

Bury the body of the worm in the sand. It creates the tube by secreting a mucus that kind of becomes rubbery. The sand will protect it until it can form a new tube.

Once it has a tube, you can move it carefully - if it has affixed the tube to rock or whatnot, you can carefully detach it, just be careful not to squish the worm while you're trying to peel the stuck part off.

Once in a while they will position their bodies deep within a crack in the rock - in that case I wouldn't suggest trying to remove it, it will probably be near impossible to do without pulling the worm completely out of its tube.

Sometimes in transport they lose the tube - they will create a new one. The biggest risk is that they are more vulnerable to predation when they are nekkid ;)

Jenn

Thanks Jenn! I read up on them and you're dead on! I'm happy to report my little worm friend is doing well. He has mini house, shall we say a condo right now. He can retract a little bit but he most stays out and no one bothers him so I thanks I'll just leave him be and never try and move him again. Whew.

Back